Lessons Learned (the hard way)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Cattoo, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    what are some of the most important lessons about catfishing have you guys had to learn the hard way? i think one of my most important was never use braided line as leader material. when i first started targeting big cats i bought some of that spider wire catfish fusion. i think it was 60# test. it was supposed to be abrasion resistent . whatever. i was using 30 # main line and this stuff for a leader. i had a couple big fish on and my line broke both times at the leader. so, like a dummy, i would just retie figuring it most have had some bad spots. a friend of mine, who bass fishes ,showed me how to test abrasion resistence by rubbing the line back and forth over a piece of wood or rock and counting how many times it took to break. well the next time i was fishing i hooked another big cat and fought it for a little while and then, nothing. my line broke again. so i decided to test my leader material on a rock. it took it only 11 times to break. i then took my main line( which i believe was berkley catfish line) and tested it. it took 33 times to break it! well needless to say it went right into the trash! i belive i lost a total of 4 big fish because i didnt know what to use for a leader. what i wouldnt give to have those opportunities back. oh well, live and learn!

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    I gave up on Fusion the first time I used it. The simple abrasion from my finger nails when pulling out a backlash parted it. Your experience with it proves the theory that physical size matters. Some of these kitties have course sandpaper in their mouths. When those big-uns start thrashing their head back and forth it's like a rasp on a piece of wood. By all means, go to heavier mono. If this fails, you might consider braided wire leaders. :cool:

3. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Sounds peculiar,but i used to try to avoid snags and logjambs by fishing about ten foot or more away from them.Now in the daylight I will cast right into the thick of things.Found that it was worth a few rigs putting the bait right in the cats' living room.Now I only stay a distance away if I'm using live bait.
    At night I'll fish flats and bars but in the daylight they better be wearing helmets.:grin-big:

BILL

4. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Fishing-related lesson - The last, most lasting impression made on me, after 40+ years of fishing, is to wear a hat on my bald head no matter what the weather looks like! Was out on a nice day last spring, forgot the hat and didn't really feel the need. Got fried so bad the the old mellon bled and scabbed over for three weeks. Ouch.

5. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I learn everything the hard way. Makes me appreciate and remember it more. LOL

One thing, dont stand behind someone when they are ready to cast a 100 yards. Man does that hurt when hook digs in, rips back out with a weight popping you on the head and your looking for your ear.

6. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    when yer snagged dont sit there and yank on it i once did and when it came free the weight came back and it stuck in my arm i had to pull it out that was no fun

7. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Ya don't have to tell me twice Mastercat,that happened to me with a 2oz egg sinker.Thought I got shot by a gun.My buds laughed all that night and still do to this day!Man,we even marked it on the gps and named it "shooting" on account of the fishin being so good!:grin-big:

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    when fishing for bait, and after getting hung in the tree across the creek, make sure you do not just back straight up when trying to break the line. for God's sakes turn with your back to the water! there is nothing in my memory that is more painfull than a huge split shot breaking loose from 10lb test, and having the velocity of a .22 bullet striking the jewels of the family!:blink:

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    A buddy of mine was hung up and his 2 oz weight came whizing out of the water at me. We were in a small boat so all i could do was watch as it smacked Me in the thigh! OUCH!!! it split My freakin levis and raised a big ole nasty welt, I could hardly walk for a while

10. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

Mrs. Cataholic wasn't wearing eye protection and caught a 3oz. egg, The doctors estimated it hit her at over 150 miles an hour! Eleven fractures to the orbital socket and the loss of her left eye. The shock burst her eyeball like a grape, Im tellin ya boys it wasn't a pretty sight, I don't know what kept me from loosing it! It was the most costly mistake we ever made as it was the hardest lesson we ever had to learn...

Wear saftey glasses and never looks towards a snag while hung up and trying to free your set-up, never!

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    The hardest lesson I learned-double and triple check the drain plug on your boat.Nuff said.:crying:

12. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Ill share something I learned when I was 14
    When walking with your buddy 3 miles down a wooded trail in the dark and your Grandpas colman lantern lid is ratteling noisely...you might want to turn it off and wait 30 min or so to cool down a bit OR!!! use a pair of pliers to tighten it up , The results are a perfectly burned cross hatch replica of the nut holding down the green lid in your thumb and index finger
    Also your buddies will never and I mean never let you forget how fast you turned loose of it and flapped your hands around

13. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    One of the biggest things I learned was to never fish on "WEEKENDS"! Too many yahoos out on the river and this old fart just can't deal with it. That and the drama at the ramp when ya come back in. LOL!

14. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    hey dwreel and nosnag,i didnt mean the catfish' teeth were cutting the line, the line was being broke on rocks. the area i fish is nothing but boulders and there is no way to avoid them.

15. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    my biggest mistake was putting 50 pound fireline on my ocean reel. Yeah it worked great catching sharks off the pier and fishing for BLuefish. But when i got home and fished the rivers i noticed my line starting to turn white. And everytime i would hook into a big cat my line would break, i think i lost around 10 nice cats this past year for that reason

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I recall many years ago fishing with a large wooden bobber with a minnow around a brush pile. My rig got hung up and I yanked & yanked and finally the 10# test parted like a gunshot. The wooden bobber came straight at me faster than anything I 've ever seen. Well I wasn't able to get out of the way and took it to the family jewels. I went down hard and was hurtin' bad for quite some time. I learned a valuable lesson the hard way on that day!

17. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    oooo man thats rep points for you, that is a good lesson makes me think about cutting my line right away instead of yanking on the line.

18. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
  19. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    In the river I fish there are ALOT of rocks. It's also a shallow river. I have found that using an inline no snag sinker works decent. But if you can get away with it...you'll get snagged up much less if you can use no weight. Nine times of ten...it's the sinker that gets snagged up here.

20. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Has anyone in Kansas had any luck with flatheads this year? Im not sure when they start to get active since it has been warmer than normal this year..:confused: