Lessons Learned The Hard Way

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by hct236, Jul 14, 2009.

1. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia
    Thought we could all share some of those lessons we learned the hard way when fishing. Some of mine are:

Always have a spare flashlight and fresh batts. when night fishing.
    A short piece of rope takes up very little room but has countless uses
    Keep a knife in your takle box at all times
    Catfish will run off with your rod..keep it secure
    Hooks, line, and leaders need checked/replaced often
    If you dont want to kick it in the water....keep it behind you.

Look forward to reading yours.

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Don,t run out of bait! The night you show up short on bait,they,ll be hitting like gangbusters!:wink:.Keep everything you could possibly need in your truck or boat, you,ll need it sooner or later.:smile2:

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Hah! Always make sure you got the key to the boat before you leave the house:angry:

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Keep your spare set of keys outside the truck,,,:embarassed:

Don't put a lot of stuff between the chair you sit in, and your poles., at night..:tounge_out:

Keep your drinkin water in a separate cooler than the washin water...:dribble:

sort out the mess of stuff from your last trip, before the current trip..:crazy:

Even though you Never stick a hook into your hide,, Keep first aid around for when you do.:roll_eyes:

Yea, I told you that knife was sharp!!!:wink:

5. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    DONT FORGET THE PLUG!

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I had a brother inlaw sink a loaded 18'trihull in the ohio a few yrs back because of that very thing.

They took off for a night of fishing right at dark, 1/2mile or so up river they felt the water and before you know it they were full,:eek:oooh: they dailed 911 on the cell and jumped in as they tried to get the boat as close as they could to shore,,:crazy: Did no good though, Everybody thought they all drowned, but they made it to shore somehow and went walking through the woods up in westport off Hwy42 somewhere, and were found early the next morning. He never saw the boat again.But he was very thankfull that he and his family safe.And it was onlythe 4 or 5th time he had it on the water,,Man you talking about sick..a loss of a boat was better than a loss of life..

and a BIG lesson learned. DO NOT FORGET THE PLUG!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:oooh:

7. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Hook emergency shut off clip back up before you try to start the boat, or your one pull starting engine won't start after 20 pulls! Learned that one the hard way, had it hooked to my belt, got up to catch a fish didn't hook it back up and thought something bad had happened to my engine. Worst part, it's happened several times!:big_smile:

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Learned one last night! Make sure your anchor is securely fastened to your rope before throwing it in. If there is a carabiner make sure it is clipped all the way.

9. cat6028

cat6028 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    always make sure to have a valid fishing liscence, check the dates on the liscence before fishing." if u don't have a lifetime liscence." Cost me 150.00 dollars last year and the only thing that saved me was i knew the conservation officer and i had my expired liscence that i believed to be valid. cause they can can fine you, take your fishing equipement, and your vehicle if they really want to.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Think Safety first. Always carry necessary and extra life jackets. Never know when you are someone will need one.

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Don't wait until the sundown bluegill bite to find out that your worms are rotten. (no fresh bait no flathead)

Don't even try to get serious about fishing when you have kids with you. It's their turn and they like different things than you.

Always latch the damn tackle box lid. Always latch the damn tackle box lid! Always latch the damn tackle box lid!!!!!!!!!!

Teach everyone who fishes with you to Always latch the damn tackle box lid!

Don't leave the lantern behind. Don't leave the new lantern behind. Don't leave the cheap lantern you bought because you are sick of paying for good ones, behind.

Always carry a lighter or 3

12. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If you're a catch and release angler, make sure you have the camera with you. If you plan on keeping some, make sure you have your stringer. I always carry both, just in case.

Make sure all your batteries are good, and carry spares.

You can never have too many flashlights or pocket knives.

Make sure your knots are solid and your hooks are sharp.

Make sure that you're allowed to have beer at the park before you crack open a cold one. Thank goodness that cop was a nice guy...

Never say never, and never say always.

13. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Make sure to not set a hook in your chair an while cleaning it off the hook goes through the hand such as case in point I did!

14. hct236

hct236 Well-Known Member

State:
    virginia

Thought I was the only one to do that.:eek:oooh:

15. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    discard all cut bait out of the boat b 4 u put it in the garadge.:eek:oooh:

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yes always put bait away first thing when you get home or you may forget and have a smelly suprize in your vehicle apon re entry.

17. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    always have new thermacell pads and butain canister

always bring bug spray

always try to tell some one were your going so that they wont call the police looking for you and have all your family and friends looking for you [THANKS MOM]:burn_joss_stick:

bring extra batteries for the airpump

make a check list and stick it some were so that when you get ready to go fishing you want forget anything

an bring snacks lots of them

18. skinnerbug

skinnerbug New Member

State:
    brandenburg ky
    i ALLWAYS keep a 20$ and spare boat and truck key taped up in the boat had to use both a few times and i never take the boat out unless i got a flare gun those things are life savers if ya fish large rivers or off shore you set 1 of those babys off youll stop push barges and some 1 Will find ya :wink:

19. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I left a bag of shrimp in the car over the weekend one time. When I got ready to go to work on Monday, I could not hardly get into the car the smell was so bad. It took a week to get all of the stink out of it. :eek:oooh:
    GET THE BAIT OUT OF THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    dont keep anything in your pockets that you dont want getting wet (cell phones,wallet,smokes,etc etc etc).