Lessons Learned on the GMR Tonight

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I snuck out with the Smurf boat after work to get a couple of hours in near Dayton on the Great Miami River. Got started about 7:00 and fished until 9:15 ( since my running lights still are not operational) and before I left I picked about a 8-10 big fat Catalpa worms to try and durring the course of the 2 hours, learned a few lessons,
    1, Turtles love Catalpa worms
    2, with the end of the heat spell in sight, the barometer dropping and a breeze picking up, the action was really slow, hardly any turtle hits even.
    3, a 10" across the back softshell hooked in the right claw is a very unhappy critter ( Number 8 so far this year)
    4, Above critter has a neck longer then I thought and forced me to drop my new 9 dollar long handled pliers:crazy: :angry:
    5, after watching pliers sink faster then a rock to the bottom, I had no pliers to unhook, unhappy camper so had to cut line and sacrifice a nice gama circle, that really hurts...
    6, Best to lift turtle in the boat before trying to unhook with outstretched hand while holding pliers over the water
    7, mental note, buy new floatable, Pliers, with handles longer then what i had, also look for wrist lanyard
    8, for my effort, I landed a whopper channel of about 1 lb with a piece of cut shad, felt good to get skunk off.
    9, water temps were stagnant at 85 degrees and water is getting low again,

10, need to Thank Dink for the shad as he and Nightprowler fished at the same spot with me and stayed later so Im sure they will add a report.

11, Managed to unload and load boat by myself with zero problems, so that was good

and lastly, the new rod holder rig I came up with worked out really well, cost about 6 dollars ( not including the rod holders them self but the mounting brackets and boards) and over the winter ill make it better but for now, they are great.

All in all a great couple hours on the water!

Looks like Sat am, Ill be trying another early morning shot,

Salmonid

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Mark nice well written article. I enjoyed it thanks. Felt like I was there. Lost pliers myself once over a bridge side because of a long neck softshell. They should be able to undertand and retrieve the pliers.lol

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if ya wouldnt have been such a wuss and grabbed that softy by the neck like i do then you would still have your pliers!:big_smile: besides, they dont bite that hard, wont take off a finger like a snapper will.:eek:oooh: we left at 12:30am, i got skunked, Nightprowler got a 14lb, a 10 and a dinky 2lb'er.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Dink, next time you should be the one in the front of the boat/closest to the bank :wink:

What, no turtles??? and I couldnt grab him because he wasnt hooked in the mouth so I had no way to pull his head out, otherwise I would have tried it, seriously...
    Now I am plierless so Ill have to grab them next time:crazy:

Salmonid

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like ya kept your fingers, that is a good day for me. LMAO

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Next time loop the line around your hand a couple of times about a foot from the hook and hang the turtle vertical stretching out that there leg. Then using new pliers, when turtle sticks head out whack turtle on snout w/ pliers. (make sure PETA isn't around) after 3-4 times he will not stick his head out (they are slow). Grab hook with pliers and with turtle hanging over edge, snap your wrist and he's gone. Even if he gets you, you got your licks in.:big_smile:

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO, now that is funny.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats pretty much how it started, but at the same time I had a hold of the circle hook, I had to twist the pliers down, at the same time my hand was re-adjusting the plies and his head shot out of there and my instinct was to drop the pliers even though my mind told me not too, SPLAT. as I watched it sink into the murky depths... The plan sounded good on paper ........:tounge_out:

Next time will be a different story with a different ending, perhaps Ill be fingerless, or the turtle will be headless, one way or another, Ill be getting my gear back.....:eek:oooh:

Salmonid

9. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I will vote for headless, sounds like my last time out on the GMR.

4 turtles, 5 carp and 3 in a long time they will be trophys catfish.

My condolences on the loss of your pliers.

10. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    My father had a wealth of wise snippets. He once told me that the trouble with experience is that it teaches you something you didn't want to know.

Sorry you lost equipment. I would suggest Harbor Freight for cheap yet effective replacements.

11. cashcobra

cashcobra New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Words of wisdom to live by. Thanks for sharing