Lessons learned - check on catfish bait availability

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Apr 10, 2009.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Lesson number 1: Call and check on bait availability before driving 2 hours to the lake. I went to Murray yesterday and could not find any bait, anywhere. Not fresh or frozen, nothing.

Lesson number 2: Don't rely on so called friends. My "buddy" was suposed to meet me at Murray. I called and told him to check with Scott and get bait bait from him. It would be 10 or 15 miles out of the way, but worth it to salvage the day. In the meantime, I would launch the boat and try to catch some perch, even though I didn't have a light rod. Trying for perch with a cat rod is like catching horny heads with a broomstick and rope. I didn't have any luck with the perch. About an hour later my buddy called to say that he found bait at Wiley and went there instead. Left me high and dry. I bought a box of crawlers and made a couple drifts, caught 2 channels. I cut up a channel and tried him for bait, but no takers.

At least it was a beautiful day. I sure wished that I had that vacation back to use when I had bait. That's the second time that my "buddy" has taken me for a ride. It may be the last.

Steve

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If a snake bites you once its an accident. If he bites you twice its your fault. Better luck on the next trip out. I usually carry some dip bait or garlic shrimp for days I can't get bait. Just an idea.

3. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks Mickey,
    I have carried shrimp many times, but not this time. I'm going to a local pond this weekend for bream. I normally throw them all back from this pond, but I'm going to freeze several for future use this time. I have a young nephew who loves to go there, so I'll let him fish while I keep him baited up.

God Bless All,
    Steve

4. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    To bad Steve!:sad2: Next time you are on this side of the world and need some bait just call me. I usually have some in the freezer and there is a bait shop right beside my house. I would have been glad to bring you either. Sorry!! I won't stand you up either!:roll_eyes:

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Steve that guy is not a buddy, I would have another name for him. No buddy leaves a man with out bait!!!!

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Phillip Price told us in a seminar at the Carolina Catfish Club to always take bait with you even if it is frozen. No matter how good the bait catching has been, there are those days when things don't work.

I try to use fresh bait, but I also like to keep a good stock of frozen perch and bream in the bait freezer for those days when I don't have live fresh bait.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    This time of year at Santee it isnt a bad idea to bring some bait also cause it can be a day to day thing on whether or not they will have bait until the water temps come up more.

8. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Sorry to hear what happened, Steve! How's that saying go "First time, shame on you. Second time, shame on me"? (I'm shocked that you would leave home without some lucky scrimps) :crazy: