lesson learned

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by CountryHart, Nov 2, 2008.

1. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I made a post about a 308 a few days ago. And the boy next door killed a 5 pt. yesterday with it. His dad told me he wanted to check the zero because the kid missed the first shot. We get it set up and see it's shooting about a foot high. We shot several times and can't get it to group. Finally my brain kicked in gear and i checked the scope and mounts to see if it was tight. NOT!!!! I got it tightened down and was able to zero it in just a few shots. I felt sorta dumb when it was all over for not checking this before we ever started. With a used gun ya never know who did what before you got it. She'll stack em now so thats all thats important.

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    This reminds me of a lesson that i re-learned this week. I'm having problems with my truck, and i'm checking a lot of things. I checked the ignition coil with an ohmeter like my book says. Everything checks out. Someone else takes a look under the hood, and he sees where the coil has been arcing. When i took the coil off, you could see the tracks all over the bottom. Never take anything for granted!! Thats an important lesson.

3. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Yea John, Thats why you got to shoot your gun before you get into the woods every time if possible. Ya just never know.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree 110%. I'm not carrying something that i'm not certain of where it hits. I shot aunt bee a couple times. She's ready to rock and roll if the 15th. ever gets here.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    John, good luck on the 15th. Happy to hear that you got that rifle shooting straight!

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    With lead flying all over the target, make ya wonder how the young one ever killed the 5 point. Maybe there is something to the old saying ( rather be lucky than good ) Just a thought!!!

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    He just caught it on the right shake:smile2: I'ld never tell him it was luck but i think after he seen how the gun was shooting, he knew it was luck.

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,I allways shoot a few in any gun. My daughter was shooting terribly with my 243,I said ,let me fire a few just to see,I put three in under an inch ,1 inch high at 100 ,Just like I have it sighted in at,I got to watching her shoot,She was anticipating the shot and rushing the squeeze, Got that lesson in her ,and she was shooting better immediately.

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If i don't get some shells loaded, i may be throwin rocks. I got some new cases and all the components, just haven't done it yet.:confused2: