Leopard Frog Traps???

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by phishnutz, Dec 31, 2009.

1. phishnutz

phishnutz New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't suppose any of you guys would happen to know how to make a leopard frog trap? I have googled about every possible combination I can think of and not getting any help. Any ideas out there would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks and a Happy New Years to all of you.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I have never seen a trap for frogs. They probably make one. I use a fine mesh dip net and walk through a damp area in my yard and catch them. Most of the time I offer the Grand kids a prize fro the one that catches the most.

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
  4. phishnutz

phishnutz New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks Jim. My grandson is only 6 months old so he won't be much help catching them yet.:wink: I did find one frog trap, but it looked to be designed to float on water and mostly for bullfrogs near as I could tell. I was looking for something to put in puddles around grassy areas.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    It won't be long before he will be out there. Seems like yesterday that mine were that small:smile2:

6. phishnutz

phishnutz New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jeremy - thanks for the link. That was the only trap I found on my earlier searches. I think it is designed to float. Perhaps I can modify it a bit for what I have in mind? I just want to set one in or around some shallow puddles by grassy areas that I know have frogs in them. I'm just fishing around to see if there are any other designs or ideas out there. Thanks again.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont know why you couldn't dig you a hole and put a piece of PVC or plastic around the edges of the hole so they can't climb out. then when they jump/fall in they will be trapped. i dont think it would take a very deep hole to trap them in. maybe a foot or so. just make sure the walls are 100% vertical. i know some guys that use a similar tactic in wilderness survival situation to trap anything from spiders to small rodents.

8. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I posted this question on another site.
    Best answer was fill a white plastic bucket 1/2 full of water and put it where the frogs are.

9. phishnutz

phishnutz New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The water makes sense so they couldn't jump out.
    I assume you would have to dig the bucket into the ground to let them get in?
    What would you use to draw them in? Any other input Bob? Thanks.

10. billyum2

billyum2 New Member

State:
    Topeka,ks
    Good topic and responces guys..thanks

11. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was also gonna say to try some type of "hole" trap that they jump or fall into. Sink a 3 gallon bucket with 5-6" of water so they cannot jump out.
    About the best thing I've found though is a frog swatter.....a 4-5' broom handle with a piece of conveyor belt hose-clamped to the end. A little "tap" and the frog is stunned long enough to pick him up.

0713092136a.jpg

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was wondering if there is any kind of bait involved? Good luck.

13. phishnutz

phishnutz New Member

State:
    Iowa
    A "frog swatter" eh? :cowboy: Now that sounds funny, but it's also a pretty good idea. Definitely better than using an oar like I was last summer on an outing near Belle Plaine. I may have to build me a frog swatter. Thanks Pat. I'm still on the lookout for a fool proof trapping method though.

Also, I think the sunken bucket would work, but I'd like to come up with something a little more portable so I can move it around with less effort than digging a hole every time I want to move it. Any ideas on how to lure them into the bucket?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  14. IAcrankbait

IAcrankbait New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The only other thing I can think of then is netting. Set out a 8-10 feet of this type of stuff(http://www.americannettings.com/garden-netting/) between 2 stakes and see what happens....not sure on which mesh size would be best. Would be very portable. The problem is that every critter around might "check" your net too.

DNR regs say you can't place a net or barrier to stop frogs from getting to and from water so maybe call ahead and see about setting on land or just how far away from water is legal. Depending on what is legal, I would also look at areas where tall grass/cover meets short grass.
    http://www.iowadnr.gov/fish/regulations/frog.html

15. phishnutz

phishnutz New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Pat, thanks for the links. Good stuff.

16. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    He mentioned digging the bucket in and that it would probably work but he was afraid of liability issues.
    No bait.
    He said they would find it.

Have a good 1
    just

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  17. justwannano

State:
    SE Iowa
    He mentioned putting the bucket in a hole but wouldn't because of liability issues.
    No bait.
    He said they would find it.
    Have a good 1
    just

Sorry about the double post. When I checked the first post didn't show up.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010