Leopard Dogs

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by treloarjeff, Jan 9, 2007.

1. treloarjeff

treloarjeff New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was just curious if anyone had any information on a Louisiana Catahoula Leopard dog. One showed up at my house a few months back and my Grandpa (retired veternian) said thats what breed he was any info on them would be appreciated.

2. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Those are some nice dogs for sure, I almost got one last year from Black Oak Catahoulas. http://www.blackoakcatahoulas.com/

If I lived in the country I would have one.

Joe

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Great dogs, to say the least. I've had one around for the last 10 or 12 years. Loyal, smart, and tougher than nails.

4. treloarjeff

treloarjeff New Member

State:
    missouri
    thanks for the info guys. youre right i have kept him around and he is a very well behaved dog and a very loyal.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the first of those dogs i saw was in TX and as i understand they are great hog dogs but here in N.M. alot of ranchers are using them for cattle dogs they are verry loyal well behaved dogs

6. lamudslinger76

lamudslinger76 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Put that dog in the woods and I'd bet he could find a hog to bay or a squirrel to tree.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    one of the best hog/stock dog breeds for sure. also a great family dog.

8. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I raised them for years, love'em, used them to catch wild cattle and hogs. Great dogs, you can get them to hunt just about anything you want them too. I've run everything from rabbits, deer and coyotes with them and used them to tree coons and squirrels. One thing, they like to kill, never had one that wouldn't kill every cat they saw. Also they are very hardheaded. Very trainable, but hardheaded , they need to know your the boss or they will be. The only other trait that's a little aggravating is it takes a Catahula longer to get out of the puppy stage than any breed I've been around, usually they have to get to about 3 years old before they stop being a pup.