Lehigh River Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by fscii, Jun 17, 2007.

1. fscii

fscii New Member

State:
    MD
    Never fished the Lehigh for cats. Anyone want to hook up and show me the ropes around here? I can do some weeknights (get home about 5) and weekends. No nightfishing on worknights tho lol.

If there is a good path i got a beach cart that'll lug rods, cooler, tackleboxes etc. too - wahoo. Saved my life in the surf for stripers and blues - can't hurt for cats either ;-)

Would prefer to hook up w/someone who's catfished the river for a while and knows the in's and outs a little bit. Don't worry won't give away any of your spots - NOBODY i know likes to catfish 'cept me :(

Don't worry about me draining your honey hole either, don't eat too much fish and what I do eat is mostly saltwater (fluke etc). I practice C/R on 99% of all fish and rarely take one home to eat and the ones I have eaten are barely legal I don't kill big guys.... unless they have antlers :p

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    the state record channel cat was pulled from the lehigh. good luck fishing. I live 5-10 minutes from the hamilton street bridge crossing on the lehigh but Ive never fished the lehigh strangely enough. kaleigh I think has. try asking him. Theres a few others that have to but cant remember the names off the top of my head.

3. fscii

fscii New Member

State:
    MD
    Pretty cool the state record came out of there. I fished it once or twice by the bridge in northampton but that was more like taking an ultra light with niece and nephew w/worms to catch some panfish for fun - and let the dogs go for a swim and once or twice with the wife by bowmanstown but that was mostly a picnic type thing.

I'd have to say if I had a boat I'd be in the delaware by all of them trees/snags the last few years of flooding has thrown in. There has got to be some good catfishing there. But for now I just want to give the lehigh a shot and see what happens.

4. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

where at on the lehigh river you fishing..... i guess i better be hitting the lehigh... i dont really hear much about this river.

5. fscii

fscii New Member

State:
    MD
    Looks like that kaleigh guy is out of comission? Hasn't posted since the end of 2006.

I'm not fishing anywhere on the lehigh yet. I wet a line a few times taking a walk with the dogs or nephew/niece etc. but that's about it.

Was thinking of dabbling between the bridge in northampton to the delaware. No idea where to start especially since I don't know anyone that interested in catfish - and even the bait shop or two I've found doesn't know too much about 'em.

I'm going to try and get out this weekend and do battle with mr whiskers!

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I have two reasons why I havent fished the lehigh before. the main reason why is that I dont trust the inner city trash that Im bound to run into there. in my youth I worked for dominos and have heard gun fire while delivering around the lehigh. I have a carry permit and never fish unarmed at night but I really dont want to use it if I dont have to. the other thing was that I always thought the fish would have pollutants in them being its a major river. so I never bothered if Im not going to be able to eat the fish with out worrying about an eating advisory. at the same time, the river did set the state record so maybe its worth a shot. I currently only fish for cats at lake nockamixon and greenlane reservoir.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    The Lehigh holds the state record for Channel Cat but there is an * that goes with it! That Cat was brought in from out of state and stocked for a fishing contest and then caught, at least thats the story I was told! In my opinion that fish don't deserve to be the record if the story is true!:crazy:

8. fscii

fscii New Member

State:
    MD
    Good points maybe i need a prison shank in my sock LOL and a hazmat suit to handle the fish?

Sounds fun eh?

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    FIshings always a good time!! bring some worms, if the cats are off then atleast the eels and bluegills will be entertaining. And besides, if someone doesnt ask you specifically if you caught a cat when they ask if you caught anything, then you can still say yes.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

I heard that too! Scott knows his PA catfishing info!