Legislative Action for Catfish limits

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Chicago, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey all,

The thread by hock_paul about harvesting huge catfish got me thinking a lot about what can be done to protect trophy fish, and frankly, the number of overall catfish in our waters.

At the outset, I realize that finding the source of the problem is complex. Not catergorizing catfish as "game" fish contributes to the lack of regulations, combined with the huge commercial interest in catfish as table fare, funded by lobbyists for both the fishing industries involved in the trade and local grocery stores.

I would like to see what more we can do. The only reason those other interest groups have succeeded over ours is the concentration of power. They are organized and take the issues to the right people, those who make the ultimate decisions. We have them beat in numbers. According to the Pres of BOC, we are getting 50 new members a day.

I recently graduated law school and have made at least one proposal to the IL legislature. It was concerning veterans' benefits, and it got to the desk of then lieutenent Governor (now Governor) Pat Quinn who took it to the following legislative session.

I'm sure many of you are more knowledgable about fishing regs than I am. Which agency determines what is considered a "game" fish. Is it federal or state? Our task may begin there. Perhaps a national petition to reclassify catfish as "game" fish will allow us to push for equal protections under the law. I will pass this post to the organizers of BOC to see if they have any ideas.

In the meantime let me know if you all have some suggestions about what we can do. I'm willing to spearhead this thing if you guys are serious about it. I'm tired of complaining about . . . and ready to do more.

2. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    The state classifies what fish are gamefish and what aren't. I believe the DNR would be responsible for determining what species can be commercially harvested and what can't. I would be behind you all the way on this one, but a lot of science and research has to go into the actual finished product which would cost a lot of money that the state does not have. I would gladly write letters to The governor, Mark Miller our DNR director or anybody else that would listen, if it would make even a small impact on the way our government looks at our sportfish.:wink:

3. apfd82

apfd82 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i am behind you one this one to something has to be done

4. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Well I passed this post on to the Pres. He informed me about catfishrescue.com. Apparently, I am not the first person to find this issue worth taking to the legislature. I had a feeling there was something in the works already.

I went to the site and signed the petition, which I encourage everyone to do. I'm waiting to hear what the status is on this movement, including when local Senate meetings will take place, etc. I will post an update when I get one.