Legislation Making Catfish a Gamefish in NC

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Jan 16, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Ok ladies and gentlemen, its time to chime in.

What do you think about North Carolina designating catfish as a game fish so that regulations can be put in place to manage the resource better?

There are a lot of ways to go with this, but a game fish designation is the start. Creel limits, slot limits, and limits on fish over a certain size are all possibilities. To make it happen it will take some political pressure on Raleigh to recognize the economic impact the designation can have.

Many areas, like the Yadkin chain, are producing blue catfish of record proportions. River systems down east are producing record flatheads. Lake Norman, with the previous state record, is poised to continue as a trophy blue cat destination.

As these areas continue to grow more and more anglers will seek out these areas to fish and travel to. This means a significant income source for guides, motels, bait and tackle operations and gas stations in the area. Having trophy fisheries also provides entertainment for out of town businessmen, convention visitors, and other people who may be choosing the Carolinas as a travel destination. Without protection of the resources the fisheries could face over harvesting, thus eliminating the lakes as a travel destination for fishermen.

In other states where there are catfish regulations the effort began at the ground level with pressure from fishermen to change things. It will not be easy, or fast, but the longest journey begins with a single step.

Let me know what you think.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This is great news... Now if Ky. will follow suit it would be even better!!!

3. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Im in and im trying to find a local buisness that will help out on it. I have a good lead in fayetteville.

1) I think that you should only be able to keep cats in between 5-25 lbs the rest release back to the water.
    2) I think that there should be a 5 fish limit per person or a 15 fish limit per boat.
    There are alot of fisherman down here that keep all the small ones they catch and release all the big ones they will have 20-30 small ones in the bucket, but the problem with that is that once the big ones die off there are no small ones left to grow up. So that causes a problem of no fish or the problem of haveing to stock fish.
    So I have always said that they needed a regulation on it.

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i think you need to get some info from biologists. cats reproduce a lot better than a lot of other fish. small bag limits may make it where you get over population. be careful before you get to many regulations on a fish that is thriving on its own. just be careful before you get the lawmakers involved. remember that they tend to cave to animal rights groups to often on regs. it is your state but be careful.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Texas calls the catfish a game fish. You can trotline, jugline, bow and hunt, and commercial fish for catfish. Just can't net or noodle them. We have limits, but very liberal ones except for flatties. Its a poor game fish management system, though, to allow all those activities for catfish, along with liberal limits. Those are some things that you guys will need to hammer out. To me, the worst methods allowed are commercial fishing and bow and arrow hunting. The first for obvious reasons, the second because there can be no catch and release, dead is dead.

6. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I'm all for it, we just need someone with a lot of time and connections to get it started. Other states have done it, so it's not immpossible. I know my favorite lake is getting a lot of attention now, and that's fine, and I think most practice catch and release on big fish, but I've seen what goes on at say, santee cooper. When a lake becomes a big attraction, a lot of fish go out. Santee has held its own, but there is a lot more water down there than there is in the lakes in N.C.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    whats wrong with just outlawing them d## noodles and gallon jugs.:big_smile: it should be against the law for anything to be sold in a one gallon jug. need to be 50 gallon jugs of everything we get. cant put but so many of them on the boat.:tounge_out: i guess someone would figure out they needed a battleship then.:angry: this has been brought up several times here and i really dont know the solutions to this. all i kown is if the word catfish started with a "B" there would already be a solution.:wink: im game!

8. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    My question is If bass fishing is a sport then why not Catfishing
    When was the last time you say a 35lb bass????????????
    I caught it on a spinner over by that tree, anybody can catch a bass on a spinner. Now catch a Cat on a spinner. Thats a challenge

9. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    WylieCat, I'm glad you started this subject. It is my opinion that the NCWLC will not designate the cat as a game fish, because they look upon it as a scavanger. But, less than two years ago they started thinking about making certian lakes Trophy Fisheries as it relates to blues and maybe flatheads. Danny Kibler with the Winston-Salem Journal did an article for the NC Wildlife publication about this possibility. What I think we can do with the NCWLC is seek to have them change the regulations as it relates to jug fishing (limit the number of jugs per fisherman/woman), set a maxium size on the openings of fish traps (limit the size of enterance to less than 10 pounds) and limit the location of trotlines. Also, ban jugs, trotlines and traps in areas known to attach spawning fish during their spawning period. Santee Cooper is not the only lake that is losing fish to those restocking private fishing ponds, due to fish traps. We have one on LKN that will brag that he take out a couple tons of fish each year for his catfish ponds. He does it legally since he has a commercial fishing lic. from the state of NC. They (private/commercial fish ponds) have found out that a 20 pound cat and up moved to fishing pond from a river or large lake will not gain any more weigh and in fact will lose several pounds right off and continue so until it dies. But, it appears that a smaller cat can adjust to its new enviorment and begin to gain weigh. Just my thoughts on this important issue.

10. jfwillia1998

jfwillia1998 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I think that the state's wildlife biologists would do a good job with it - they certainly did with various bass populations (e.g. Jordan). I think a fairly liberal slot limit (one post said 5-25 lbs) combined with a creel limit might not be a bad solution. That way you keep a fair number of your current breeders, and your future breeders. And if you are releasing the ones over 25 lbs - you know that you are keeping the genetics for bigger fish in there.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dieter you may have confused some folks into thinking that they have already done this.I have preached this for years mostly about Santee but it is certainly good for NC also_Once they have gamefish status it DOESN"T necessarily mean there will be management.But at least the tools will be there to protect waters that need it.I think a first step would be a petition with lots of signatures.Those always get political attention.All we would need is to get a state senator or congressman interested so they could introduce legislation.Once you get that done its a matter of keeping after the lawmakers to get it passed.:big_smile:

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i forgot about the noodlers in this subject too. i recently seen a tv show call cabelas memories in the field. had a guy from charlottle noodling catfish out of boxes from badin on there. now we all know cabelas has a big catfish tourney thing but what i couldnt understand is why they would put such a thing on tv. so i sent them a email about it. asking what cabelas was getting out of a man catching fish with his hands in a scubba divers suit. do they sell scubba diver equipment or rods and reel? i know somewhat about how the corp. world works but this didnt make sense to me. i never got a reply by the way.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I know it is not up to me but, Fish in the range of 10 to 55 or so lbs are your breeders. If you take those out and not the ones under that you risk loosing what you want to protect(the future of the sport). JMO!!!

14. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    WylieCat...I commend your efforts. After reading your post though, I was saying to myself, catfish seem to be thriving everywhere last I heard, so why fix something if it isn't broken? State Resources and specifically those dedicated to the protection of our natural resources could be better served elsewhere for things that truly are "broken". I hate when governing bodies step in and impose rules on things that were fine to begin with as those rules tend to take away from the reasons people were attracted to that venture in the first place.

Then I read this quote. If the gamefish status will be used as an Ace in the Hole, that we can utilize only when truly necessary for the protection of catfish, then I am all for it.

15. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    famous words-- hi, i'm from the government and i'm here to help

16. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    michigan will do well if it follows your state.

you can keep a 12 inch channel cat here. how ridiculous. what a shame.

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    My goal is to get the ball rolling and start talking to some people and see where the road blocks are. From there we can decide on the best course of action. Obviously, I will keep everyone posted. Hopefully we can get some support from the members here, if for nothing more than a letter writing campaign to the elected officials.

LakeNormanBlues, I like your quote, "...they look upon it as a scavenger..." I bet they don't feel that way about the flathead in the Cape Fear River. :wink:

Some other BOC members have e-mailed me with some valid points that the state has made in the past. To encapsulate them, blues and flatheads are not native fish and therefore they do not want to protect them unless they have stocked them. With that thought in mind, why not protect the native catfish, and furthermore, why not protect the fish that have been stocked into areas like the Catawba River chain?

Just some more food for thought.

I love the feedback. I can be one sided in my thinking and love to hear the things I have not thought of!! :big_smile:

18. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    this is a trickie subject we cant forget the effect that that huge rush had on tuckertown a couple of years back...that lake is just now recovering from over fishing of its catfish population...however cat fish due reproduce very quickly and i dont think at this point that the wild life commision getting involved is nessacary now if we start to get a large influx of people from out of state and the like comming in and fishing a particlular lake and or river chain for a particular species then yes i can see the need to begin and conservation effort but until that happens i think the cats will be just fine.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont see the catfish ever becoming a gamefish in NC.
    I can see limits placed on them in certain lakes but the state as a whole, you are wasting your time.
    The state is going to make it easy for the angler to help them manage the rivers.
    You have to remember the rivers are some of the most delicate eco systems there are and its not all about catfishing. Other species including saltwater species rely on our rivers to thrive.

20. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    any fishery river lake are just like ponds you can stock a pond if you dont take any fish out over a perod of time the fish will over populate and continue to get smaller all the time to controll this you need to take out a lot of small fish especially little cats leve the cats 10lb up.