Legg Lake

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Jedi007, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    Went out to Legg Lake this afternoon. Met a guy who was catfishing off of the Western Shore of the big lake that is off of Rosemead Blvd.

He said that he saw them dump trout earlier today off of the Eastern Shore of the lake. I asked if he actually saw the fish go in the water and he said yes.

I fished a little here and there all the way around the lake with no luck. I walked the entire shoreline in order to see if I could see any activity at all. I did not see ANY fish.

I was using jigs and a couple of different lures. The problem I was having is there is a lot of broken cement slabs that line what appears to be the majority of the lake.

I tossed the lures out a ways and had no problem bringing them in until I was about 10 feet from shore. Then they would regularly get hung up or tangled into the rocks.

Overall, it was good exercise and a nice walk. Didn't cost anything to get in but a few jigs that were sacrificed to the lakes collection.

The guy I spoke to who was catfishing said he caught three catfish yesterday, but hadn't had any luck today.

Has anyone had any luck at this lake? If so which of the two or three lakes and what side?

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I can only tell you that I used to fish Legg lake a lot when I was a kid, mostly for bass and once in a while for cats.
    Legg lake is still a good bass lake if the guys on the other fishing forums are to be believed.
    As far as trout go, that's probably one of the reasons there are so many big bass in the lake.

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I remember panfishing there when I was little. I still have a lure that I found there.

4. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Is Legg lake right off the 605 and 60 freeway?

Jaime

5. Turtleracer

Turtleracer New Member

State:
    Upper So. Cal.
    yes it is. actually just off of 60 and rosemead blvd.

6. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    hey turtle,

welcome to the BOC!!!

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Dang, what memories. LOL I grew up about 10 miles from Legg Lake(Whittier Narrows). I used to ride my bicycle there everytime I got the chance. Back in those days there were only two lakes. A big one and a small one. The third lake was fenced off and not accessible to most. I've caught nice channel cats in there, at least back then I thought they were nice. 2 and 3 lbers. Lot's of Bluegills, Carp(big carp to 20 lbs) and a few 10 to 15 inch bass in a spot were there was a bunch of reeds growing in the small lake. And when they used to stock trout, my friends and I would be there before the sun was up. So many people fishing you could barely get a spot anywhere on the lake. It was funny to watch the rods start getting bites. The trout would be running the banks and you could see the rods bending almost like dominoes falling. LOL From whatever side they were coming from they would hit one after the other on down the line. LOL Last time I was there, there were at least 3 lakes and the park had been totally overhauled. And there were warnings about being there after dark. I think the last time I was there was one time when I was home on leave probably in the late 80's. It was a good place to learn to fish as a kid back then. Is it still someplace to let your kid go on a bike? I sure did spend a lot of hot summer days at that lake.

8. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Dang, Brian. Looks your a local boy.
    I grew up in Norwalk and did the bike thing to Legg Lake also when I could'nt finangle a ride.

9. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    I don't think I would let either of my kids ride over there on a bike now. Between the horror stories of the bodies found in or on the lake, the wives tales of people drowning in the lake due to the quick sand, and the plain fact that when it gets dark on that lake, things start to get spooky fast.

It is a shame that things have changed over the years. I remember being dropped of at a park with a lake as a kid and staying from early morring until after dark before our ride picked us up. Some of the best summers I can remember...fish...fish...fish...

10. RandyH

RandyH New Member

State:
    VA
    use gold fish when i was a kid i would slam the cats and the bass on goldies