Legality of using bluegill as bait question

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by hardydk1, Jul 22, 2009.

1. hardydk1

hardydk1 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have heard some people say that it is not legal to use bluegill and other bream as bait. I was talking to my friend and he said that as long as they are caught on hook and line and they are either keeping size or there is no size limit it is fine. Is he right? That is what I have always though.

2. belewslake

belewslake New Member

State:
    northcarolina
    as long as you get them on a rod and reel you are fine. you can use goldfish also.

3. fitzh2o

fitzh2o New Member

State:
    Hubert, NC
    I concur :0a26:

4. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    What they said! Nice Flattie in your avitar by the way and welcome to the BOC.

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    AN OTHER POINT IS; TO BE USED ON ROD AN REEL ONLY ,IF ALIVE ,IF CUT UP, U CAN USE THEM ON ANYTHING LEGAL ,TO FISH WITH, BUT IF ALIVE ONLY R&R

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  6. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    it was explained to me by our local "Lt. spivey" game warden "by legal methods" i know people the throw cast nets! but they were advised to get a special devices liscense..............but no matter what antone tells you......ask your local game warden...........all officers interpet the law differently!:wink:

7. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    I was told as long as you catch it on r&r and use it on r&r and not on jug lines or limb lines. If you do use it on jug or limb lines to make sure they are cut so they know they were dead when you put them on.

8. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Can only be used live on Rod and Reel and must be caught by hook and line (ie R&R, cane pole). If you catch one in a cast net then you might want to throw him back.

9. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    maybe in va. but i know plenty of them in n.c. that do it...........

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    When caught on a hook it is fair an legal bait.

11. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    KEVIN legaly that is correct per reg book i,m prudy sure :wink: they need to be caught on a hook an line

Last edited: Jul 25, 2009
  12. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Let the game warden catch you, catching bream in a castnet, it can cost you about $100 per bluegill plus the cost of court.