Legal to shoot backyard squirrels or coons?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by lightningmetal10, May 2, 2006.

1. lightningmetal10

lightningmetal10 New Member

State:
    new york
    Is it legal to shoot racoons, squirrels or other small game in ur backyard? I live in Long island and i dont think it is too legal but... any one reinforce that?

2. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    I would use a live trap that way you could do it nice and quiet good luck

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    If it is illegal use something quiet with not alot of power like a pellit gun or a bow and arrow.

4. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    use something quite as stated earlier, check with your local laws about discharging guns, sometimes that can get you in a little trouble.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Most cities prohibit the discharge of any projectile,then you also need to see if they are classified as "game animals"with seasons and limits.Most game depts. have provisions if they are causing damage.
    Sound like your are right in assuming its illegal.
    Traps would be the way to go,and keeping your mouth shut about it.

6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    If it's illegal, just don't do it. There's a reason why it's illegal.

7. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    In Kansas, I had a problem with squirrels getting in my attic. So, I grabbed my scoped Marlin 780 & a box of CCI CB shorts and eliminated them with prejudice. It was quiet and had the same killing power of a regular .22LR at those close ranges. All I really had to do was be careful about my neighbors and make absolutely certain that the squirrel was positioned in front of a solid surface to catch the round.

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes, for some reason the city frowns on the discharging of weapons :boss: Now I on the other hand, see nothing wrong w/ it! ;) Shoot we can not even use traps to catch them here, and I'm not talking about the traps that are used for sport, I mean the big square ones that are big enough to fit a dog into.

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    If there are neighbors and houses close to you and the animals are not in season, then I would say it is as illegal as pedro cossing the border

10. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    It is definatly ILLEGAL in Long Island. There is nothing like that allowed in New York City. You better stick to trapping and then claim you trapped them in your house. There is way too many ANTI'S in New York City.

11. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    no, it is illegal to shoot food, i mean varmets, if you are in city or if they are out of season. most places nowadays! so if you don't do it you cant get caught! also you have to consider how to kill them without danger to yourself or anyone else!
    so, be safe and think hard about the danger if you try it.
    a limbrat ain't worth a trip downtown!

12. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I'm sure it's illegal but down here in the Natural State we have coons, possums and armadillos. If we didn't irradicate a few of em in the back yard at night we'd be overrun with the lil critters. Course we live 11 miles from town too so we don't sweat it none.

13. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i say it would be very illegal but i guess that you can trap them. all i know is is that im in the country so i dont gotta worry bout it! lol

14. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    but tom...........pedro crosses the border anyway. lol idk about where you live but police have showed up at my house for shooting my bow in my backyard

15. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    As far as I know, all communities have a law against the discharge of firearms or projectile-shooting items (bows, paintball guns, airsoft, bb/pellet guns, etc.) while in the limits of the community. They can, and will, take away whatever you're shooting and possibly give you a hefty fine. Me, I don't do it unless I know I'm safe and have a need to. For instance, a local company was going to charge me more than I thought they should to come get a half dozen squirrels out of my attic. So, I got my hands on some CCI CB Shorts, re-sighted my scoped Marlin 780 to 20 yds to zero, and eliminated them from my 2nd story window. It was pretty quiet all around, was not within a visible line of sight to anybody, and provided me with some delicious freezer meat.:roll_eyes:

16. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    have an incredible range. It will easily pass through a squirrel or rat and keep on going. To the dog or cat or kid or Mom or Dad next door or down the block.
    So you'll have to deal with law enforcement first and then possibly with law suits from injured neighbors. He shot Trixie!!!!. Play it safe, get a trap or just leave 'em alone.

17. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah, I only suggest doing it if the animal is ruining property and is far away from other people. You do have the right to protect your property imo.

18. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Being in animal control for about 20yrs the game commish will tell you it is not legal unless they are in season and you have a valid hunting lincense or animal control license.But what they dont know or hear wont hurt!!!!!!