Legal Size for Glass Packs?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by drakewoodie, Apr 26, 2006.

1. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Member

State:
    Milford, Kansas
    Hey guys,

I know this is a fishing forum but i'm looking to find what the legal length of glass packs are in the state of Kansas i just bought a truck and want it to make some noise i dont like my trucks being quiet. And the Cops here in town aren't really fond of me so i want it to be legal other wise i would just go with straight pipes....Any help would be appriciated...

Thanks

Eric aka drakewoodie

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    if you got to have a noisey truck id go with flowmasters glasspacks have thier issues. me id keep it as quiet as i can keep it. nothing more annoying to me then a loud vehicle be it from mufflers or a stereo. good luck.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

try posting in the repair threads someone may be able to help you there

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

I resent the fact of being labeled a OINKER just because I am a LEO:mad:

5. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think a set of Flowmaster 40s will be just what your looking for.They have a nice throaty sound and are plenty loud.Flowmasters are rated by the numbers, being lower is louder.I have seen them from the 40 series to the 70 series and the 40 is pretty loud.

6. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I am not involved in LE, but find the "oinker" remark highly offensive to those that choose to serve and protect us.

7. Brushy Bill Roberts

Brushy Bill Roberts New Member

State:
    Spencer Indiana
    Wonder who the first person this guy would call if his truck was stolen?

8. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    i wish i could help, but unfortunately i dont know how long they have to be. is there a limit even?
    :confuse:

9. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My bad for the comment and I do apologize for classifying all police officers as members of the swine taxonomy. Not all police officers are bad, but there certainly are enough arseholes among their ranks and I have had a few run ins with several of them.

A lot of it simply has to do with the officers personality and the way they present themselves to the public. I know for a fact that there are officers out there who will do their best to provoke a person so that they will "go off" to some varying degree just so they have an excuse to haul them into the clink and/or beat the heck out of them. Then on the other side of the coin there are the officers that can take an already excited person and calm them down and do whatever they want with them.

10. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    I don't know of any laws. Here in IL we don't have any that i know of. My buddy has 24'' round, but i don't know how long. They are real loud, but since thy are 24" round, he had t jack his truck up a lot. Mine are not that loud but loud.

11. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    To answer the question I do not think there is any one specific size which is illegal, its totally dependant on your application.

The law (if there is one) should state exactly how many decibels your vehicles exhaust system should emit at a certain distance.

12. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    hmm, want real loud get 10 inchers. want a nice throaty sound that can get loud get 18 or 24 inchers(length). no matter what size you get, the sound really is gunna depend on whether yer vehicle actually has guts or not. theres kids around here that just have pickups with stock 305 or 350 engines and they put on loud 10 inch glasspacks and think they have boss vehicles when actually their trucks sound like crap n probably wouldnt turn 15 second 1/4 miles. now if loud is all you want, then run headers with the 10 inch glass packs!

13. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I would suggest going with a flowmaster or sometype of muffler of that sort, yes glasspacks are loud but so are the mufflers, I have the Flowmaster 40's series on my truck and it sounds nice. I am not fond of glasspacks is because they are glasspack and over the months, your truck will loosen up the fibers, and the exhaust will be like stright pipes.

Chris

14. drakewoodie

drakewoodie Member

State:
    Milford, Kansas
    i dont really mind if they turn into staight pipes...they will still look legal....What do you guys know about Cherry Bombs???

15. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i know this is a truck muuffiller thread butt i think u orter cutem offf rit at tha y pipes an just run down that main street wide open in low gear:) an just letem know just hoo u are. im a gowin fishin see ya.:)

16. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I dont know how true this is but from what I hear, if you put glasspack on a vehicle you are liable to burn your valves out quicker, I dont remeber exactly what caused it but I will look it up.

chris

17. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    back in the old days a lot said that the glasspacks will burn your exhaust valves or warp them due to the cold air when you shut the engine off due to cold air comming up the pipes. I found that to be a wives tale myself. When I was young I went through the loud pipes phase like most guys. Only place I like loud pipes is on my harley.

18. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well one of my trucks that I bought has glasspacks on it with no cats, and true duals. Yea it was loud and yea when MO made me put cats on the truck it was slower. I am going to take my truck to KCIR and get a stock time on it then I am going to redo the exhaust. I got some Gibson headers, Dynomax highflow cats, and Dynomax Highflow mufflers. The mufflers have a straight thro design so that truck should flow good. I also plan on putting 2 1/2 inch duals with a H pipe. I plan on doing afew more things to it then take it back down the track. My goal is before summer is over to have a truck in the 13's w/o blower.

Dave

19. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I also forgot to mention that if you want loud and legal my suggestion is eletrontic cutouts. You have your normal quiet exhaust and with a flip of the switch it opens up a cutout/s in your exhaust so you bypass everything. Usually this cutouts are after the headers/manifold but before the cats/mufflers. For those old time racers that remember crawling under their cars to unhook the headers...they know what I am talking about. I would suggest this only for V8s if you are planning on doing this for a V6 3.8 liter or higher is my suggestion. I would also suggest a good incoming air system to help the exhaust. (Better air in, Better air out = more hp)

Dave