Legal or illegal?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by john catfish young, May 4, 2009.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ok .....Ive been under the impression that it is illegal to use "any" sport fish for bait. Including Redear sunfish (shell crackers) as we call them.
    But after reading the Kentucky fishing and boating guide last night.....On page 6, center column quote:...

Regardless of size or how obtained, it is illegal to use any sport fish for bait(except redear sunfish).

So tell me.....how would you interpret that?:confused2:

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I interpret it as legal to use redear sunfish as catfish bait. But I think there is a daily limit of 20 or possession limit of 40 on them. I plan on using them for bait till I find a warden that tells me I can't ,and then I'm going to pull the book out of my tackle bag and ask his interpretation of that section you just referred to.
    Do you think a hand sized one will pull a cat bobber under???:wink:

3. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Please post up an answer on this. I like many others need to know.

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    In many states you can use bluegill, redears, etc. for bait as long as you do not exceed the legal limit (if there is one) and you have caught them on rod and reel (not casting net).

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats exactly what I've been told. Just don't go over the possession limit & catch them with r&r, not a net. I sent an e-mail to Frankfort a while ago and thats what they told me. I don't think I still have the e-mail but i'll look.
    Yep Ken, It'll pull a kat-bobber under, with a 40+lb flattie eating the 'ear...:roll_eyes::smile2:

6. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Don't know if it's illegal if caught in a cast net tho . Because of the word (EXCEPT) . That being said you guys catch plenty rod and reel . Now here is the kicker question what if the redear is LONGER than 6 in. ?

7. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good luck getting a response via e-mail I sent a ? right after deeer season and they still haven't replied .

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Don't get caught if you get the 'ears in a cast net, under or over 6" you'll probably get a ticket. The way they explained it was they have to be caught on R&R to be used for bait. You can't keep any sport fish caught in a cast net. I can't find the e-mail they sent me but I'm pretty sure thats what they said.:confused2:

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    There is nothing in the book about using fish longer than 6" for bait. Just that 6"and under is defined as minnows.

10. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    your the man ken,set these fellows straight:wink:

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    You are right about the cast net and all sport fish being released. If I could have kept them I'd had some nice crappie Sat. evening about 10 or 12 about 10 to 14"long while trying for shad.

12. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We have been under the impression that we couldn't use redears for bait because they are a sport fish in Kentucky. I like them because they are very lively and strong and I think a big flatty would really like to munch on one tomorrow night.....LOL:big_smile: Thanks for your responses guys!:cool2:

13. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Good luck! We use Bluegills all the time!

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats true, just can't use the redears whether over or under 6" for bait if caught in a cast net. If caught with hook it doesn't matter the size.:wink: You were the one that set me straight about catching gills in the cast net and using them for bait.:wink: Now If I can just get my back straightened up enough to throw my net.:roll_eyes:

15. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    john you keep trying to throw that net and your going to end up falling out of boat:eek:oooh:

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

:smile2: At least the water temp. is in the upper 60's...:crazy::eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2:

17. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    is it thursday yet?:big_smile:

18. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I think that is something that has only changed in the last year or two. I don't remember the redear having a creel limit before the year to be honest with you.

19. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Redears were made a sport fish two or three years ago. The first year the regulations said - " Regardless of size or how obtained, it is illegal to use any sport fish for bait(except redear sunfish)." Last year the phrase "(except redear sunfish)." was taken out. Now this year it has been added back to the regulations. So I guess we can quit calling them "yellow belly bluegills" when we put them on a hook :smile2:

20. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I thought there had been some changes made on the redear status but was not sure when it took place.