Legal for bait?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Catmansc2006, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Does anyone know if using blue crabs under 5 inches wide and if freshwater mussels are legal in SC?. I have read everything on the SC DNR site and nothing is noted to say they are not.
    Reason I am asking is my son and I were fishing on the lower Ashley River, and every cat (from 6 lbs to 33lb) stomach's was filled to brim with mussels and blue crabs.

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I dont know the laws there but I do know that is what they eat a lot of!

3. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    It has been years since I was down at the coast crabbing but I grew up there and I dont think you can possess blue crabs that small. I am not sure about this but that is what I think. I dont know about the mussels but I do know they are good eating. Had a few buckets full myself.
    Stephen

4. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    if the sight dosnt say its illegal then its probley fine, but you said that they were filled with bream, well get some ultra light tackle with a bobber and night crawlers and catch the bream with line and hook, then turn around and use em for live bait or cut bait, its naturaly forage, they are eating em, and itll keep the little one intertained while your waiting for the big ones to bite

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Don, that's a good question. I've often wondered the same thing, but I would assume it would be illegal. Any other bait, such as bream or perch, has to be considered as a part of your creel limit, therefore I would assume that any crab used for bait must measure 5", since it's illegal to possess anything smaller, like Stephen said. It isn't worth a fine to find out you're wrong. LOL

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    It is illegal to possess blue crabs under five inches, even when used for bait.

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Ditto on the crabs.

Mussels native to the area are usually legal.

8. Catmansc2006

Catmansc2006 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Again thanking eveyone who responed to my question.
    I have found out from SC Game Warden that blue crabs must be 5 inchs wide before you can possess them. As far as the mussels, they are legal also, no restrictions. Considering that catfish eat cut bait, then I assume that a 5 in crab would be easy for them to eat. Any suggestions on how to hook them? Whole or in parts?

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    When fishing them for redfish, and catfishing would probably work the same way, we either run the hook through part of their shell, usually on the back side, or if the crab is very large, sometimes we will break them in half, then place them on the hook the same way. If the current isn't too strong, I use very little, if any weight.

10. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Not sure about the crabs, but I know the mussels are legal. This time of year it is hard to catch channels in some place son anything but mussels.