Legal Baitfish in kansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by hereflattieflattie, Jul 1, 2009.

1. hereflattieflattie

hereflattieflattie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok, so is it legal or illegal to use Bullheads for bait in Kansas? I have used them for years and was told by a game warden that they were Illegal to use. Earlier this year at Pomona, I was using them and a game warden came down to check licenses and asked what we were using for bait and I told him Bullheads and green sunfish and he didn't say anything about it.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    They are legal. Just another case of a Game Warden not knowin his a$$ from a hole in the ground.:smile2:
    Not a bad idea to keep a copy of the regulations on ya, so you can prove them wrong.:wink:

3. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Been using bullheads as bait for years. Its perfectly legal in Kansas!

4. hereflattieflattie

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, I figured as much. They are something else. Just like how they made it illegal to shoot feral hogs in Kansas and they are trying to pass a law that says you can't keep shed antlers. What the heck is wrong with the KDWP? They definitely don't know their head from their a$#

5. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
  6. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I think the only condition is that they have to be caught on rod and reel and be of legal length from the waters they are taken.

7. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    The feral hog thing was done with good intentions. People were releasing hogs and planning to sell hunts for them on their property. The problem was these hogs didn't stay on that property exclusively, and can cause extensive damage to agricultural land. I have seen the damage that they can cause, and while I love to hunt them, I am content to go to another state that has rougher country to hunt them. As to the rest, I don't know what the deal with the antlers is. I just found out that it is illegal to possess a head from a deer you did not shoot and tag. I work on a ranch along I-70 and find a few each year when burning pasture that have probably been hit on the highway and went out to die, I had been hanging them in the garage rather than let the mice eat them. Some things they do don't make much sense.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    There is no problem with the KDWP and antler collection. It's against the rules at the Federal Wildlife Areas like Quivira and Cheyenne Bottoms, it falls under the feds general rule against removing anything natural from their areas, and they recently announced that they will be enforcing this. No worries if it's state or private property.

9. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Are bullheads legal to use? It depends on where you get them.... so where did you get them? I'll need a map of course and the area of the pond you caught them from to decide if they are legal.:smile2: Haha, just kidding. I'd love to use bullhead for bait, just can't ever find any. The way I read the rules is that you can use anything as bait, even sport fish. Just can't be over 10 inches in length (I think thats right, maybe someone will correct me). Sport fish have to be caught by legal methods, hook and line. Can't use bass because of length limits that protect them, they usually have to be 15 or 18 inches I can't remember, don't keep track of rules for them. But there are probably some other sport fish that are protected like this too. Bullhead are fair game though as long as they're under that 10" limit and you caught them by hook and line.

10. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    So completely hypothetically speaking of course, If I was to use small largemouth bass under the 12" legal maximum for gamefish species as bait is that legal? The hypothetical bass would be caught from a private farm pond that is way overstocked with them and needs a bunch removed anyway.

I am curious because if this scenario was actually real, then it would be possible that I flathead fished this spring with the aforementioned bass with the game warden and he told me it was legal.

11. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Technically there is a statewide 15" length limit on all black bass {largemouth,smallmouth and Kentucky] as well as sauger, saugeye and walleye unless superseded by a local length limit. That means it doesn't matter where you caught them if you get caught with a livewell full of 8-14" bass you might rack up a buttload of fines.:crazy:

12. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I just tell the Game Warden to mind his own business. :smile2:

13. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yea well he will make it his business to be in your business and write you a ticket! :crazy::smile2:

14. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I Never seen a Game Warden untill I went to the tournament.I mostly see park rangers.And I rarely run into them. And after I tell them I'm catching bait.They don't bother to look in my bait bucket.

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I push them in the water and run !!! :smile2::smile2::smile2:

Same here Mike. They never check my bait bucket. They check my licenses, and then bullshit with me. I dont mind using bait they deem not legal, but I respect the creel and length limits.:cool2:

16. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Mad toms make real good bait.

17. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've been checked twice this year both times at the same lake by the same game warden. He went through my cooler and even made me both in my fish basket. The second time he said I know I just checked you last week but I need to see your license again. I was like WTF? He was a real prick! :sad2:

18. hereflattieflattie

State:
    Missouri
    I really don't care for some of the game wardens down here. I caught a 50lb flat down at Pomona last year and had a game warden try to accuse me of snagging it as I was reeling it in. Well, he stood by me when I fought it and when I got it in the net, the 8/0 Gamakatsu was right inside the corner of its mouth where it was supposed to be. I said, yep, I snagged him, right in the mouth. His reply was," well we have had alot of guys snaggin down here lately and I though I saw you jerking the rod" Seriously? I would hate to say alot of them are idiots but alot of them are idiots..lol I just moved to missouri so I'm sure it will only get worse since I'm an out of stater now.

19. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've had them check my bait bucket and I've had them ask me to reel in so that they could see my bait on the hook, but both times it was Missouri / MDC. I'd hate to see what kind of fine you would get from having a bucket of undersized bass :crazy:

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I know in Kansas it gets expensive real quick. A few years back a buddy of mine had 12 crappie at Hillsdale all under 10". The warden wrote him a ticket for 75 bucks for the first crappie and 25 bucks for each additional. A little harsh I thought. Since it was such a hefty fine, he was going to take my buddy to jail right then if he couldnt pay. I started to wonder about that, thinking that might be an opportunity for a warden to pocket some cash for himself. My buddy didnt have any cash on him, and the warden followed him to Lake n Dale, so my buddy could hit the ATM and pay him. I guess it was better than the alternative.