Legal bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by riverratokie, Jan 20, 2008.

1. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    Does anyone know what is legal bait? The regs arent clear. If caught legally can any fish then be used for bait? I have e mailed the wildlife department twice but i guess they are too busy to answer my questions. Thanks in advance for any help with my question.

2. Punkinsdad

Punkinsdad New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You can use trout in the Oklahoma for bait.

3. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Legally caught fish, even gamefish, can be used for bait. Now if you are casting a net for shad, and some baby crappie, sandbass, etc. get snared, then you MUST put those fish back.

It has been said that the very best Striper fishing on the lower Illinois coincides with the trout stockings. Catch some trout, cut off the heads, save the rest for supper, put the head on a 6/0 hook, and hang on.

Crappie is a killer flathead and blue bait, but I have a lot of trouble keeping them out of the skillet. If my bait tank is full of water and in the boat, then I toss the baby crappie that I catch on jigs or minnows into the tank, and feed the big boys on my jug lines with 'em

4. brandon

brandon New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Have seen many not worry about putting crappie in the skillet. fillet each use the remains as jug bait

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ditto what Ron said! However, most guys just use the entire trout live for bait.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    If you catch it on a rod/reel, then its legal bait. This pretty much applies to all areas

7. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    read YOUR States regulations or you could end up in trouble. Just because you catch it does not mean it's legal to use as bait. In some States, using any part of a game fish on a trot line is against the law. In other States, you CAN use Trout for bait BUT you have to have a receipt (dated within 48 hours) from a bait shop showing that you purchased the trout for bait.
    Some States let you use fish caught on rod and reel but not if caught in a net. Some people have said they use Bass for bait, but most States have a minimum size to keep a Bass, if it's under sized, don't get caught using it for bait. You really must know the laws of your own State.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Jerry,

Since this was posted in Catfish1.com » CATFISHING INFORMATION BY STATE » OKLAHOMA CATFISHING » LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK » Legal bait?

The answers have been about Oklahoma regs. In Oklahoma, it is legal to use any legally caught fish as bait, live or cut.

9. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kansas is about the same. But on one page is says anything over 12 inches is illegal. So if you catch anything over a foot you need to cut it, eat it, or throw it back.

10. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I think Tony was right. Danny was referring to the laws here in Oklahoma. Laws are different in all states and I would assume that everyone would know their particular laws before they did it. Here in Oklahoma, it can get confusing on some laws. As far as using game fish for bait, as long as it's caught legally on rod and reel and within the size and number limit, it's legal. The length limit however on some fish vary by area. What's legal to keep on one lake or river may be different than the length limit on the body of water that it empties in to.

11. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info on baby crappie being legal bait.

12. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    oops, didn't notice the part about Oklahoma, Sorry .:0a13:

13. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That's ok. It probably helped alot of people check their states regs for any changes for the up coming season.

14. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In my state you can use most things as long as you catch them on rod and reel but im not sure about bass. I'm pretty sure that you cant catch a legal size bass and put him on your hook. So therefore be careful and make sure you check the size limits and bag limits before you go out to catch bait.

15. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Might not be able to in Indiana, but I'm going to be baiting up my jugs with some 2-3lb bass this year.
    Got some 20/0 circles and J hooks that would be perfect for them.

:004: