legal bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by joadb, Jan 20, 2008.

1. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    anybody know the updated version of legal baits and methods you can use to catch them in ohio.are white bass legal to use?im not tryin to let a ranger take my abus and leave a ticket.lol

2. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Any species of fish can be used for bait as long as it was caught by legal means of that species. You must follow size and creel limits for the species you are using for bait. Sport fish must be caught on rod and reel and not netted. Any fish that falls in the forage fish category may be taken by net. Also be aware of the size limit on the body of water that you are using the bait if it came from elsewhere.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nice informative post jason454ci...rollo

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I know I was told by Dnr also that it is "apparently" illegal to transfer one species of fish from one body of water to another. Say I was taking blue gill from east fork to fish for flatheads, the legal way would be to use them at east fork also. Dont know if that applies to all species or not.

5. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    It is unlawful to transport and introduce any aquatic species (fish, invertebrate, plant) from one body of water to another.

Unless the body of water does not have the species that you are using for bait you can use it there no matter where you caught it. You are not introducing it if they are already there.

6. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Daggon Jason, Your the man! Its nice to have someone around who has read all the laws and can tell all us guys that hate to read. :wink:

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I just like to know the laws since it seems like a great deal of our DNR officers don't. I would suggest to everyone in Ohio to get a copy of the laws when you get your fishing license. Read over them and familiarize yourself with them. Keep them in your tackle bags at all times so when the man tries to tell you the law you can show it to him.