legal bait question........

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by Raven, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Raven

Raven New Member

State:
    alabama
    Hey everyone,

This is a GA and AL question.

I fish on the River between Columbus but mostly bluff creek area to Eufuala. Yesterday I was told that I could not use bream or crappie as bait to fish with because they are game fish. Is this true? I mean I catch skipjack and shiners a lot also but I have used a bream or crappie before one or twice.

Raven.

2. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Well first off raven welcome to the boc. Im not in al or ga but here in ohio bream and crappie are game fish. But you can fish with them only if you catch them with a rod and reel. and your not aloed to sell them eather.
    so good luck on your search.

3. Kevin N

Kevin N Member

State:
    Georga
    Name:
    Kevin
    In Arizona where i did alot of catfishing I was told by a game person there that even a trout is a bait fish if you are catching them with that in mind as you are fishing for them. I was told your bait steel needs to fallow the rules for the game fish size ect, every state has there own rules.there while fishing on the colorado river if you are on California side of the river that bait rule does not apply. best thing is to ask a game person. They always seem to show up when ever i put a huck in the water.. LOL :roll_eyes:
    kevin

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    You can use bream/crappie as bait if the they are caught on rod and reel. Can't be netted...

5. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    i am not sure about crappie, but like MIKE said you can use bream if you catch them on rod or reel. i emailed the state of alabama wildlife and they said make sure you stay under the daily limit in your possession. you can also use traps or throw nets in someones private pond, but not public waters.

6. Bait Bandit

Bait Bandit New Member

State:
    West Georg
    Well first off who told you? was it another fisherman or the PoPo? In Ga you can use a game fish for bait if it was caught with a pole and meets the size limit. I have never had a Officer check each of my baits for hook marks and to me unless he watches you from throw net to bating the hook it looks like it would be hard case to make. Remeber your in Bama and they have some strange rules and some goobers with a badge so you might call the game and fish office and ask.

7. wormybass3

wormybass3 New Member

State:
    pinson, alabama
    well CLAY alabama does have strange laws, but i emailed them for the info.
    i do see your point about them having to see you obtain or fish illegally, but around her we try to go bye the rules.

8. mofishin

mofishin New Member

State:
    Alabama
    As for Crappie in Alabama there is a 9" minimum length.

9. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    There's a 9 inch size minimum on crappie in Al. but on the Chattahoochee river there's no size limit on crappie. Ga. rules!

10. Bait Bandit

Bait Bandit New Member

State:
    West Georg
    Wormy, in no way was I trying to bash Bama, heck I pay almost as much property tax to AL as GA, It's just Bama has a bunch of rules for lakes and fishing and roads that are not posted or in the regs, As for the cast net and gills there safe from me all I can catch is the trolling motor or stumps. Hey if you get a reply from the game fish please post it or send me a copy i'de love to read it or here the answer you get. Good Luck < Clay

11. cod26

cod26 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    You are allowed to fish with bream as bait as long as you dont have more than 50 at any time.As for the crappie there is not a size limit on them on the Chattahoochee or any of its impoundments to include Eufaula or any private pond that have crappie in them

12. thudpucker

thudpucker New Member

State:
    Culman AL
    You can use Bream for Catfish bait if you hooked the Bream. Any size.

The minimum size for (Crappie) as catfish bait would be 9". That'd get you a monster Cat if you got anything beyond a Dead Crappie.

I knew a guy in Louisiana that had a Bream pen at his dock. Whatever Bream he'd catch, he'd put em in the pen and feed them till it was time to bait his Trot line. Naturally he had bigger Bream as Bait.

I don't see why you have Fish Cops down here. There is abundant fish for Hook n' line fishermen.
    The Bass guys don't eat what they catch.
    Us old guys don't even need a license.
    And I've never seen a Hook n' line boat bring in any sizable catch of anything.
    I don't see a reason for Fish Cops at all.

I did see a family of Mexicans bank fishing on Catoma lake and wonderd why the Fish Cops didnt check them for licenses.

13. TOMCAT1

TOMCAT1 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I fish Lay Lake here in Shelby County Ala. We are told that bream is ok but crappie cut bait is not, we have the 9" crappie rule also, still can't get a positive answer about goldfish.

14. redbone

redbone New Member

State:
    smiths sta
    mike is exactly right. they must be caught on a rod and reel.. both are legal

15. thudpucker

thudpucker New Member

State:
    Culman AL
    It just chilled down a bit today. I think I'll go set out some Chicken livers tomorrow evening and pick em back up early Saturday.
    Legal or not, I'm keeping em all!:big_smile:

16. Alabamacatman

Alabamacatman New Member

State:
    Phenix city,Ala
    Hey Raven
    This bait fish question on this part of the river hasn't really been a issue until here lately.Several years ago Alabama started recognizing bream as a bait fish and a game fish which allowed you to use them as bait.And you can catch bream in your castnet as long as you didnt have over 50 in your possesion in Alabama.But just the other day I had Ga. DNR check me on the water near Bluff Creek and I had several shad and a bream lying in the boat and he ask me where I got him.I said caught them in the cast net and he said You know thats illegal and I said no sir .Here in Alabama the law states you can use and catch bream in a castnet and He said Son you're not in Alabama your in Ga. and said that Alabama was over there on the Bank...I said you got me there ..That was on the main river about 30 yards of the Alabama bank..And then he said If I catch another one to let it go...But if I wanted to catch bream in a cast net I needed to go up a creek on the Alabama side or use hook and line..
    Now as far as Crappie I'm not 100% but they are a Game fish and you cannot fillet a game fish on the water..and I dont think this part of the river has a size limit yet.. But you dont want anything under 9 inches any way.. but www.outdooralabama.com may help some..

17. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    you cant catch bream on the hooch with a net rod and reel only while on the hooch and as of right now crappie is illegale to use as bait as far as i know