Left To Fish From Shore

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by BigCatter54, Jan 28, 2008.

1. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Ok, I am not the most experienced catter when it comes to pole and line, I dont have my own boat, and todays nice weather is really getting me anxious, just wondering if anybody that fishes truamn lake in MO. can give me any tips, What rigs work the best when fishing from shore?thanks Chad

PS if anyone needs a fishin partner, give me a hollar!

2. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Hello Chad welcome to the Boc. Down here at the dam on Truman on the tailrace side I would suggest a three way swivel with a 2 oz sinker with just a little water running the faster the water the more weight on your drop line for your sinker. Also use lighter test line for the sinker drop line make it 18 to 24 inchs long then tie on about 4 inch drop for your hook. Shad is a good bait as is bluegills and green perch.
    Hope that helps.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Hey Chad
    I live just a few miles from Truman dam. The fishing will really be getting good there as the weather starts to warm up and we get into spring. I like to use a 3 way rig for bank fishing below the dam. Usally a 8 oz weight if they are running water, last year it took even more with all the water they had going but normally 5-8 ozs, is enough. I tie a lighter weight line to my sinker so when it hangs up it will save your 3 way swivel and hook. I have a 12 foot rod so I can launch my bait toward the middle of the channel and get it from hanging up in the rip rap.
    Bring plenty of tackle because you will hang up at times. When I cast out I leave it there until I get a bite. Or to change baits after a hour if no takers. If you reel in very much other wise you take a chance of getting snagged up. I use circle hooks and fresh cut bait. Shad, bluegill heads and mid sections, carp fillets , drum fillets, they all work well there. I use 40# test line.

Crappie, white bass, hybrids, and walleye fishing is also excellent below the dam in the spring.
    Hope this helps some. As soon as it warms back up let me know if your going and I will come by.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Jeff, you beat me to it. Good info.
    Is it spring yet guys? Im Ready!!!

5. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Well Troy you went into more detail then me. There cna be some very good fishing up here Chad for us people who do not havea boat.

6. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    WHen you fish do you usually set on the rip rap on the shores, and try to get as close to the dam as possible? or do you usually hang back from the dam a bit

7. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Chad it is hard to find a spot to fish from the bank this time of year ,because the ice around the coves,but like jeff siad below the dam is going to start picking up,theres also the warm water channel at montrose ,and a few wing dikes on the missouri river that are good this time of year, I ordered my tiller handle kit yesterday and should be ready for the next warm spell we can head down and give it a try below the dam..Troy if i have this boat running on the next warm spell we can see if you and jim ,kirk can head down below the dam ,that way if i have a problem the first time out with the motor someone can give me a tow back to the ramp..

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sounds good Robert, glad you are getting the boat fixed up. Looks like its going to get cold for a while again. Hope it dont last too long.

Chad I like to fish the west side below the dam. I normally try to get up by the fence as close to the dam as you can get, but any where on the west side is good. I have caught a lot of them clear down at the end of the channel also. My largest blue from the bank came from clear down at the end of the channel last year. I think Jeff and a lot of others prefer the east side. Both sides are very good, especially during may-june and july as they will all move up to the dam to spawn.

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    if the dam is really loaded with people and ya want to fish without getting hung up in them, allmost like trout fishing sometimes up there. the very end of drake harbor where the boat ramp is just walk down to the point of it is another good spot you can fish both current and slack water there ive done good at night there in the past and usually nobody there. the drake harbor is behind all the buildings of downtown warsaw will be easy for you to find just stop at caseys or any place will tell you directions. if you like to catch white bass alot of times when they run water ive caught alot of them there on crappie jigs while fishing for cats.