Left overs...?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bootshowl, Aug 4, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Was wondering what others do with the leftovers from your eaters. I've got a table set up in the back yard by the hose, and I've tried double bagging, & scented bags, but you put fish carcusses in the trash & the stench is awful.
    Finally since I only live bout 3 blocks from the Ohio, I've been taking the remnants to the bank an tossing em in. To me it's the completion of the life cycle, but wondered if it was against the law. I wouldn't think so, fish is fish food.....what do others do?
    The only other solution I came up with was burying them in the back yard, but soon my place was looking like "God's little Acre", LOL.

2. fishingrl636

fishingrl636 New Member

State:
    Lake Eufaula,OK
    Good Question. I was wondering the same thing. I normally fish the same cove so when I thro the carcass' in the water isnt it also attracking turtles. I dont think u can hav a turtle well fed enuf not 2 bit my line... No I dont thro them in the same spot I fish- or should I? Like chum

I no when I thro little pieces or eggs from cot fish into my freshwater tank, they go NUTS. Even more so with left over canned salmon bits.

So what do u guys think.

3. CUT_BAIT

CUT_BAIT New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I put them in a heavy trash bag and put them in the freezer on the bait shelf.
    then on trash day i put them in the trash before work,and there gone before they can rot and smell bad.

4. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I bury mine out on the farm.

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm a little luckier. I've got 4 acres and a pond full of crawdads. I'll chuck the leftovers in the pond once in a while to give the 'dads a treat, but most of the time they go in the woods away from the house. The racoons, possums, and who knows what else keep them cleaned up pretty well. I do sometimes just clean them on the river, fillets in the cooler and the rest in the water. I wouldn't think it would be illegal to chuck them in the river and I can't imagine they'd stay long without something eating them. Good Luck!

Branden

6. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    In Illinois, it's illegal to throw your leftovers in the waters...

No fish entrails or carcass may be disposed of
    into the waters of Illinois after cleaning. No fish
    species may be dressed (filleted or head and tail removed) on any waters to which length limits are applicable.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sometimes I throw them in the river. Sometimes I throw them in the dumpster behind DC's Convenience store. I'm sure they don't like it, but hey, I don't like them, so it works out in the end.:crazy:Alot of times, I clean my fish on Sunday night, and trash pick up is on Monday morning, so it's not a big problem putting them in the trash.

8. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    here in arkansas its not aganist the law to throw fish parts back into the water.i have a creek about 1/4 mile from the house and thats where i disspoze of the carcus.

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Were I live, it's perfectly legal to throw your carcasses back into the water. Don't know if it's from laziness or what, but I've got my own system now when I go fishing (of cours this only works if you can catch some fish).

I take an old ice chest and put a bag of ice in it. When I catch the fish, I just throw it in, and it lasts longer than on the stringer, slows the fishes metabolism down. Next, I've got a large kitchen cutting board, my skinners, and filet knife with me, along with some ziploc baggies for the meat. I just clean the fish right there at the water while I've already got fish all over me, and throw the waste back into the water for the other critters. Then just bag up the filets and stick them on the ice till I get home to wash them off, and bag them up.

Makes life a little easier for me with the wife and neighbors, and I can get to the tv sooner when i get hime, LOL.

10. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got a place way back in the woods that I dump mine in. They're never there for very long. If you go back the next day, it all cleaned up. It's illegal in Indiana to dump them in public waters, also.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    This was a good question....but again when I try an understand the DNR...my head hurts. I've been in the Blue river where the snappers are so bad ya can't keep em on a stringer. Found out the hard way. Pull the stringer up and the turtles had cleaned em for me without leaving any fillets....anyone know why it would be illegal if it's the same water's species? Do they just put rules up on a wall an throw darts at em or what.....

12. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    i use an old meat grinder and make my special dough ball with em and some cheese and dogfood. grind em up right after u clean the fish. i dont waste nothing that could catch me a world record :):wink:

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I put mine in a five gal. bucket and drive down the closest county road an toss em.

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    depends on what day it is. they tell you to throw um back in the water here. some times they go out with trash sometimes they go in the trash cans at work sometimes ill take them for a drive down the gravel road one time i left them in a 5 gallon bucket and left the bucket sitting in the parking lot at work when i whent on vacation in august. still hear horror stories from that and it was 2 years ago:smile2:

15. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You gotta be careful, you're giving too many people (me included) some ideas,LMAO!!!!!!!!!

16. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    neighbor's mailbox....

Jon

17. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Here in Nebraska it is illegal to put any part of a fish in the water or leave on the bank. You can't legally even dump your left over minnows in the lake or river. We plant a pretty good sized garden, heard the story of the wise old Indian with a fish head under each stalk of corn? You get the idea. Mostly no more than I catch it is not a big deal. Lost of lakes here have fish cleaning stations, those that don't usually you can't get within 300 ft of the dumpster. Luck

18. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Used to feed them to the chickens, but since we got rid of our chickens I stop at the fish cleaning shed at the state park.