Left over shad?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by Big Dav, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    What does everyone else do with there left over shad? I use a through net and catch fresh shad almost every time I go out. I try to use all my bait and I only try to keep what I think I can use but I always have some left over. I was just wondering what you all do with the left overs?

Thanks
    David

2. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Welcome to the BOC, David...

You pose a question that most people would shy away from. The answer is simple...

Do your dead-level best to catch and keep no more than you think you need. When there are shad (or other bait fish) left at the end of your trip, try to give it away at the ramp or to other people on the water.

If the bait was caught in the same water you are fishing in, release it if alive. If it's dead (as most are), dump the dead bait in the water away from the ramp or public swimming areas. The excess bait will be picked up and eaten by the gulls if it floats, or by the aquatic wildlife below. It will not be wasted.

If the bait was brought in from some other body of water, it must not be released alive into the new water. It should not even be used dead in fear of transmission of disease to native species. Always keep in the back of your mind the monster from the movie "Alien". Catch your bait from the water you are fishing.

Purchased minnows are the exception... they must meet very stringent rules and laws within the state, and when crossing state borders.

Whatever you do, don't dump dead fish in the rocks, on the ground or in garbage cans unless they are marked for that purpose. It's not socially correct, and it's against the law.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the reply and welcome. Those are pretty much the lines that I follow. I bring my minnows home and keep them for the next trip. I just hate going through the effort of catching shad just to dump them into the water at the end of the night. I know they are not going to go to waste but I would rather use them if possible. If I do have to dump shad I try to dump it near one of my favorite spots and never near ramp's or heavy traffic areas. I would hate to pull up to the ramp and see dead shad all around.
    I was wondering if anyone had a useful method of keeping them or using them on later trips? What about salting them to remove the oil? Would the Shad oil be useful for anything? I thought about trying to soak my shrimp in the Shad oil??? I fish mostly for Channel cats but I am starting to give flats more of a try.

Thanks in advance,
    David

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Dave, if your wife and neighbors will let you, and if the neighborhood cats leave you alone, you could put them in a single layer on a screen made with hardware cloth on a frame, or even an old window screen. In the Texas sun, the shad will be dried before the flies can blow them.

After they are completely dry and brittle, grind them in an old meat grinder to a coarse dust. Add the shad to your favorite punch or dip bait that has become "loose" or too thin in the summer heat. It'll soak up the excess oils and add a strong shad scent to the bait.

Trying to reduce the shad to oil is a messy task at best, and is not done well on a small scale. Freezing large shad works fairly well over a short time, but the small shad always turn to mush after they thaw. As an alternative, the gizzards are frequently removed from larger shad and frozen in pint jars for later use.

In general, I will take a cooler half full of crushed salted ice in the boat on a summertime fishing trip. The shad are shaken directly out of the net onto the surface of the ice. They are flash-frozen in seconds, and stay good for two days if kept frozen. A shad remains "fresh" as long as it bleeds when cut. Carefully thaw a few at a time and change baits about every 30-45 minutes. Keep that bait fresh.

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks again for the shared knowledge. I did not know that was how to tell if a shad was still fresh.I also did not know about the gizzard from the larger shad. I caught some shad this past weekend that were between 9 and 10 inches. I did not have many that large but I had a dozen or so and several dozen 4-6 inches. Would that be large enough to use the gizzard?
    My wife is up for anything that helps catch cats. She is hooked for life on cats.:big_smile: Neighbors are not an issue but the cats would be a problem with drying the shad outside. I thought I read somewhere that you could salt the shad down and extract the oil from them. ??

Thanks again,
    David

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd throw them in the freezer and use them again. I've had luck with frozen shad. Read some of Flathunter's posts. He uses frozen shad all the time and catches monster flatties with them. :big_smile:
    If you can vacuum seal them,its better. I don't have one but i'm wanting to get one. I just put them in zip-loc baggies and freeze. Also,if you only freeze and thaw ONCE,they still work pretty good. Anymore cycles than that and they get mushy. I always have shad and/or skipjack in my bait fridge/freezer.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i simply do the same. i freeze them in 1 gal. freezer bags... sometimes double bagging them. the wife doesn't like the thought of dead stinkin fish in the deep freeze. so i reasure her that they are double bagged and can't come back to life! lol...if you are like me, if you get that mid-winter warmup and wanna go fishing...you always have bait bro!!!! rollo

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, for shad the size you mentioned, I'd say that your only choices would be to throw them away, or grind them up for chum---maybe make some dip bait for channels, but I don't have any experience with that. I don't think that the gizzard from a gizzard shad is big enough to bother trying to use unless the shad is at least 8" long, and I wouldn't mess with them unless they were at least 10" long. Frozen shad are worthless!

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    If they are small shad put a few in a zip lock bag and let them rot and next time you go fishing tie a weight and a long string to the bag then drop it in ,makes great chum and when you're ready to go just pull the bag out with the string and throw it in the trash.

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    If they are small shad put a few in a zip lock bag and let them rot and next time you go fishing tie a weight and a long string to the bag then use an ice pick to make a few holes in it then drop it in ,makes great chum and when you're ready to go just pull the bag out with the string and throw it in the trash.

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I really prefer fresh shad to fish with... and only use a frozen one if there is no other choice.

I'll chase shad for hours to get enoug to fish with. In the summer and fall when the shad are hard to find, I'll get up extra early to be able to throw my net under a light on the ramp. The light draws mosquitos for miles, as well as other bugs. There is a constant rain of bugs on the water under a light, and the shad are there drawn to the light and bugs.

You can use the gut from any size shad, but it's easier to use the gut from the larger shad. I don't remove the gizzard from the gut... but the gizzard is the tough part inside that will hold the mess to a hook.

12. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Like was mentioned before they would make good channel bait. Buy a cheap food processor. Grind the shad add cheese and cattails or cotton makes a good dip bait.

13. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I throw them back to feed the turtles after I am done.:big_smile:

14. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i keep alot of bait and what i do if they die is take them set outside for about half an hour let them dry a little then i use one of those vacumn sealers put a dozen in a bag when i go fishin use the for chum or fish with them they will work hope thiss helps

15. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va

To keep them even fresher after i bag the shad i put the bage in a bowl of water to force all the air out the seal and freeze. Doesn't work as well as vacummed sealed, but does fairly well. I also do this with bags of fillets.
    Chip

16. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    LIKE CATFISHROLO IHAVE ABOUT TEN POUNDS OF 10 TO 14 INCHERS FROZEN AND READY FOR THE DAY I NEED EASY TO GET BAIT.:wink:

17. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    great topic I just love to read some of these post...funny how we all differ in opinion...what works for one may not work for another...
    Thanks Guy's :wink:

18. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Big Dav,
    What I do is put enough for a fishing trip in a gallon size freezer bag, fill it with water and freeze them for the next spring when shad is hard to catch. I started freezing them in water because they seem to keep better. Before I would just freeze them without water, and after thawing out, they seemed to be very soft and mushy and extremely hard to keep on the hook. I hope this info helps ya. rspd507:big_smile:

19. RCollier

RCollier New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've heard that if you dust the shad in orn meal and vaccum seal them hat they will keep for quite sometime. haven't tried it yet but my grandpa has and freezes all his leftovers at the end of the night.

20. James Bentley

James Bentley New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I take my left over shad and put them a frezer bag with water and table salt,the salt keeps them from getting mushey