Left handed baitcaster for bank fishing the Ohio River?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Cowbell, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Cowbell

Cowbell New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I need help picking a reel for fishing on the banks of the Ohio River. I am looking for a left handed reel that I can spool up with 80lb Power Pro. If possible please specify the exact reel model. The left handed thing is the trick (I love baitcasters and I'm right handed but I have to use the left handed crank out of years of conditioning). I would like a high quality reel. Not to say that money is no object but I am willing to invest in something that will last a long time. Sorry to start another reel thread but I am looking for something very specific. Thanks for all your help.

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I do the very same thing. Right handed, but got used to spinners and can't stand switching hands after a cast.

Most that reply will say the same thing. You can't go wrong with Abu Garcia. The 6000's are probably best suited, because of the spool size.

3. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Penn 321.. You can't go wrong with a Penn reel.

4. Cowbell

Cowbell New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I thought these reels are designed more for fishing from a boat. They are classified under conventional reels. Can you still cast from shore with this model? Does it have a braking system or do you just use your thumb? The Penn 321 is a base model - is there one such as the GT2 that you would recommend? Thanks for your input.

5. Cowbell

Cowbell New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was looking at the Abu Garcia 7001i. Do you know anything about it? I have a 6600C4 that I love but wanted something a little bigger. Thanks for your help.

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Where do you live?? I have a 6601cb abu used 1 time that i would be willing to part ways with. If interested send me a pm and i'll tell ya a price.

7. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    The 321 is just a version of the 320. I use the 320's...and I can make a long cast with a 5 oz sinker and bait on a 9' rod ! They don't have a braking system. I cast with a loose spool and use my thumb. The drag systems are probably the best that I've ever used and they also have plenty of torque when you're cranking in a big fish.
    I'm sure that there are several good left handed reel on the market. I'm impressed with the Penns.

8. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    The 7001i is a great reel and a fairly economical choice. I am not sure if they make a 9001i if you even wanted something bigger...i know the 10000i is only a right handed model. You can pick up the 7000s at Walmart, although they would probably have to order a left handed model, or you can find them online for good prices too. I almost bought left handed casters have having used spinning gear, but since I wanted a 10000i I made the change to right handed, and it hasnt been nearly as rough or bad as I thought. Good luck on finding your reel. If you are using Braid, the 7001 should be plenty big, if you ever plan to use mono, the 7001 could still get ya by and be a good reel, but if you want lots of capacity with mono may want a 9000, 10000, or penn 320, 330, 345:roll_eyes:

9. robjmiller

robjmiller New Member

State:
    Irondale ohio
    I must say the penn 321 I use 340 345 gti and love them

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I currently have a pair of 5601C4's. I really know nothing about the 6000 series, but i'm fairly certain that the only difference is the spool amount. The 7000's are completely unknown by me. About the only thing I think I know of them is, that they are supposedly all(7000's) made in China.