Left handed Baitcast

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Fry Guy, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I have a problem. I am right handed but the only way I can fish is if the handle is on the left side(I reel in with my left hand and hold the rod with my right). My question is can you switch the handle on a baitcast over like on a spincast or do I have to look for a left handed baitcast reel?:confused: Any help as soon as possible would be nice. I'm going to order a penn 209 and a 320GT2 if I can change it over. No I can not learn to reel with my right hand I don't know why but I just can't do it. I know it's wierd:sad:

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nope, cant be switched. youll just have to get the lefty models.

3. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Do they make left handed models for all of them or are there very few left handed models?

4. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I'm looking on catfish connection and I think I'm just going to go with the PENN 321GTI left hand model. If anybody doesn't think this is a good choice for big blues/flatheads please let me know.

5. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

As stated previously, baitcasters must be made for left hand retrive.

For Abu Garcia models, the lefties model number will end with a 1.

Such as for righties it is the 6500, and for lefties the 6501.

6. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Penn is a good brand. Abu's are better but I dont think they have 7000 in a lefty. If they have that will be better. But if not the penn is the way to go.

7. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I ended up ordering the Abu 6501C3 and an Okuma Stardrag SD30LX. Now I just need a couple of rods and new line etc etc etc:rolleyes:

8. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Well I got my Abu and Okuma reels today. I think I'm really going to like the Abu 6500. The Okuma looks like a sturdy reel but I'm not sure how easy it will be to cast.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Ben. I sent ya a PM. I'm a L/H retrieve guy from way back! LOL!

10. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Glad to hear you got your new reels! Just for future info ABU does make a 7000 lefty, it's model # BG7001HS. I have two of them and loove them!:) I have switched over to lefty models myself. I am right handed, however I cast with my right and reel with my left as you do. I find it easier than switching every time I cast.

Frank

11. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I couldn't sleep today so I got up and put my new reels on my new poles. I took them out to my pond and I can cast all the way across it now which is definantely a step up from my spinning reels. I didn't have any problems casting them thank's to some tips from my BOC brothers. Thanks for all the inputs. And thanks George I did find that release on the Okuma it just looked like a rivet on the side.:eek:

12. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Fry Guy,
    Isn't anticipation great! I know the feeling & am getting cabin fever bad! Today I was out practicing casting my ABU 7001 in the snow in my pasture. Can't wait to get a big cat on one! By the way, happy you got your new rigs put together and having fun with them.

Frank

13. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Like I said tomarrow is going to 64 so I will definantely be doing some real fishing and hopefully I can break them in proper:) You just never know. Either way I'll have a good time.

14. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Good luck and have fun!

Frank

15. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Tomarrow/Today I guess will be 74. Nothing can stop me from going out today. I'm gonna get to try those new spots I found now and there wont be any ice to stop me.:)

16. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    If you look at a parts list for example abu 7000/7001, the parts are the same except for the sides. So they can be made for left and righthand retriving. Just finding what parts you want.

I'm a lefty too. But find it hard to find a lefthand baitcaster. I did find a few at a boat/travel show a couple of weeks ago, but pricey.

17. srjones

srjones New Member

State:
    midwest city, ok
    I bought an abu garcia 5601, it's a left handed retrieve reel, so far I love it.

18. Cornmeal and Catfish

Cornmeal and Catfish New Member

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    I'm the same way, or use to be...I can fish for cats either way, but bass fishing, I found that a lefty works better because I don't have to switch hands after the cast. After the switch to lefty I found myself catching many bass that hit as soon as my spinnerbait hit the water.