Left eye dominant

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by dannybcc, Dec 30, 2006.

1. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Willie
    Was wondering how your left hand shooting was going. I am also left eye dominant and shooting right handed and trying to shoot instinctivley. Does make it awkward. I tried closing my left eye while shooting but that feels just as awkward. It also seems to effect my depth perception. I shoot a gun right handed with left eye closed and never had a problem.
    As I am just learning the stik bows this might be the time to switch. Our bow shop has a couple used left hand recurves on the wall. I plan to try it out. Could you feel me in on how you are coming and if you plan to stick with left handed shooting. What weight are you starting out with also?
    If you dont mind I will use you for a Ginney Pig so your opinion is important to me.
    Tight Lines
    Danny

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Danny,
    My left handed shooting is coming along real well. I try to shoot at least 100 arrows a day. I think my brain is finally figuring out what I'm trying to do. At first my shots were all over the place and every once in awhile I'd actually hit my 24X24 inch target! I went back to basics and started back at 10 yards, shoot 10 arrows, move back to 15 yards and shoot another 10 shots, then back to 20 and shoot another 10, and then repeat the whole process. I've gotten my 5 shot groups down to 5-6 inches at 20 yards with some as small as 3 inches. Yesterday I shot the nocks off two arrows and the feather off another one. Like you said, you lose depth perception with one eye closed so I shoot with both open. When I close my right eye my windage is good but my elevation is thrown off.
    My new/used bow is a 45# Ben Pearson, AMO 58". I think by next season I'll be shooting good enough to hunt left handed. I believe the major difference will be at distances past 20 yards, although I rarely shoot at deer that far away. Of the 150+ deer I've shot with a bow, only 5 or 6 have been more then 20 yards. I prefer to get right on top of them. That's the fun part of hunting for me. The two I got this year were 5 yards & 15 yards.
    Yes I plan on sticking with left handed shooting. I shoot pistols left handed for the same reasons. I don't know what I'll do with all these right handed bows but the last couple weeks I've been shooting right & left handed both.

3. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hey Willie
    I havent posted much lately becuase I was waiting for an auction on Ebay to get over with so I would have something to say. I did, I won what I was after, and now waiting for it to arrive.
    My new/ used bow is 70's vinatage Howatt High speed bow. Get this, 58", 30lb and left handed. Going to try the switch and I am very excited about it. I feel if it dont work out I am not out much. I am just learning with the recurves now for about a month so felt if I am going to switch do it now before i get to far into right handed. Can always switch back if it doesnt work out. I wanted to start with a light poundageand work my way up as needed. I tried my right hand 45lb bow with my left and couldnt even pull it all the way back. I can work on decent form with that light bow also.
    I also found out my wife has the exact same problem. Left eye dominant and right handed. When I tried to explain the problem she had to her she just looked at me and said "I didnt know I had a problem, it works good for shopping". See, you try to help someone out and that is the kind of comments you get.
    Bow should be here next week. I am leaving for ice fishing saturday and will be gone for the week. Heading to Lake of the Woods, Red lake and some other lakes around Hackensack Mn. Nothing like getting dropped off 8 miles out on the ice of Lake of the Woods. This is our yearly trip. I have never been dropped off on the moon but I am sure if I was that is what it would look like. Looking forward to a great time then home to try my new bow.
    Tight lines
    Danny J

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Try using a shooting patch over your eye, or improvise one.

This is Shooting 101 at the U.S. Army Sniper School.

Will make a world of difference for left eye dominant shooters firing right handed. Make sure the patch is applying generous pressure on the eyelid while training.

5. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I carry my pistol on my right hip but can shoot either left or right handed with a pistol. I shoot rifle/shotguns left handed and always have since I was a kid and never knew anything about eye dominance, was just more natural. I just bought my first bow this fall and was told I needed a left handed bow so thats what I got. Well, I shoot pretty good for only having it a short time and bagged the 9 pointer in my avatar this fall. Can't imagine shooting a bow right handed. Guess there's a lot of us out there that are right handed but left eye dominant! Chris

6. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Chris, that's the way I am. I carry my pistol on my left hip but can shoot with both hands. The problem is, I have to use the sights right handed, but lefty I shoot faster and instinctively. I shoot combat courses and steel plates left handed. I started shooting my new left handed bow last month after 31 years of shooting right handed. After just 5-6 weeks I'm already keeping all my shots on target lefty and grouping real well. It's still a little slower then right handed but I think that will come in time. I wish I had switched years ago.

7. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hey Guys,
    Congrats on the ver nice buck Chris. I like Willie, about 3 weeks ago, also switched from right to left. Well cant say really switched because I am shooting both.
    I picked up a left hand 30lb Howatt HI_SPEED (58") off of Ebay for a song. ( I cant sing so Willie you need to get with the guy) Very sweet light bow and arrived nicer than described. I certainly would reccomend a light bow to start out when switching or just learning period.
    After about the first three shots left handed I thought how rediculous I was for even thinking to try this. I put it away and forced myself to pull it back out the second nite. I did hang in there and now I am comfortable with it and enjoy it. After getting used to it I can see the target and alignment more comfortably. I also shoot instinctively. At this time I can still shoot better right handed and note the huge power difference but hopely will get there as far as accuracy. I doubt if I could ever match the power of right handed nor will I try to.
    I was invited to a range last week to shoot with some friends. They were all shooting compounds but had an enviable interest in my 1968 Bear Kodiak Hunter. I met this guy and he made my day. He was dressed in probably 18th century European garb and carrying a club. He stated "When you are shooting a recurve and miss, dont feel bad. Everyone expects you to". I have never met one before but this guy must have been a saint.
    Straight shooting
    Danny J

8. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Have any of you guys ever tried a product called "Magic Dot"? I used to use them when I was doing a lot of trapshooting. I don't know if they would work the same for bow hunting or not,but would think they should. Even if you are left eye dominant,and shoot right handed you are able to shoot with both eyes open with the magic dots. You should be able to find them anywhere that sells shooting supplies. They attach to your shooting glasses or safety glasses. Once you get used to them you won't even notice them on your glasses. By being able to shoot with both eyes open you will not lose your depth perception. If you have any questions about this product send me a PM or just reply to this post.
    Hope this helps.
    Glenn

9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Hang in there Danny. It gets a lot easier! I know what you mean about power. I've been using a 55# bow all these years but my new one is 45#. ( I also have a 45# right hand bow that I use to get in shape for bow season then hunt with the 55#). The biggest thing that hurts accuracy,(other than lack of practice) is being "over bowed". At the distances I shoot deer, there isn't much difference in the two bows. A sharp broad head will still do the job. I talked to an old fella at a bow club meeting that has been hunting with a 39# bow for years and killing deer.
    I know what you mean about Ebay. I just got 10 arrows with broadheads for $21.50, and a few days ago I got another 50# bow for $24.50 and a 41# for $15.50 that I got for my cousin's son. I saw another Kodiak go for $31.00 and a nice York went for $61.00. I'll sing to them! LOL