leechs on the catfish

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jedimanhunter, Jun 20, 2008.

1. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I was fishing riprap in the area of wind point park on Lake Tawakoni. Some of the channel cats had small leeches under the lower jaw. They were small about a 1/2 long and about the size of a pencil lead or smaller. I have never seen or noticed that before. Is this a common condition or would it be that the cats are hanging in the shallows during the spawn in a stale area. Im not too savy when it comes to leeches.

2. gonzo1

gonzo1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I was fishing Calaveras Lake last weekend and found several of the ones I cought to have them too. I took one off one of the ones I kept. I hope it was ok to eat. oh well it's been a week and I'm ok.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Many parasites infect fish. I think it is quite common. I have even found lampreys attached to cats.
    Bill in SC

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    you answered your own question:wink:

5. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    It's quite common. I will find them on channel cats just about year round. There are usually more during the warmer months on the shallow water fish. Stale or stagnant water has nothing to do with it. Just catch them and eat them.

6. muddy waters

muddy waters New Member

State:
    texas
    i have caught several flat heads on leech and some nice blues.... so you may be able to turn them around as bait.... i have only used water leeches and not the mud ones... so the channels may have benn eating a mess of em then a few attached themselves....:big_smile: