Leeches - Fishing with leeches for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by catfishguy, May 2, 2009.

1. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Who has had success fishing with leeches? I am talking specifically about flatheads. I am going to use some for the first time this weekend and I need to know the best way to hook them to keep them alive and keep them hooked at the same time.

2. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Grab a leech and take a good look at it.
    One end is more rounded, and it has a suction cup on the bottom. That end will grab you, to anchor itself, but it can't hurt you. The other end tapers to a point, that is the business end.

So take a leech, put your hook THROUGH the suction cup, from top to bottom, and right back through the body again from bottom to top. How far apart is going to depend on how big your hook is. He's all set, and ready to go. Assuming some fish doesn't rip him off, he'll be there wiggling for hours.

Don't need huge hooks for leech fishing. #2 and #1's probably your best bet.

3. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    I've caught flatheads on leeches - I usually take a small circle hook and just go thru them once at the tip like hooking a minnow thru the lips - I've only used them in the outlets so the fish usually take them and turn and hook themselfs

4. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ive never had much luck using leeches for flats. Tried some but never had a hookup...They did tell ya correctly how to hook em tho...im hoping to hear the situations leeches would work cuz ide like to try em again...

5. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I've never used them before. Do they stay alive pretty good on the hook?

6. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I don't know yet but I should have a good idea after tomorrow. I just have to figure out where I want to go catfishing tomorrow. It's supposed to be bad weather so I don't know how I will do. Maybe the leeches will work, maybe not.

7. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I thought about taking some leeches fishing but I couldnt decide on whether to take Bankers or accident lawyers!!:smile2::smile2: Seriously I have caught alot of channels on leeches during the prespawn on riprap banks the channels really tear em up.Ive caught a few small flats while fishing for the channels but nothing very big thats not to say a big flat wouldnt hit one if presented in front of him ,let us know how you do:wink:Billy

8. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Usually when I use them I don't have a problem with keeping them alive but they usually aren't on the hook long - in the outlets there are a number of species that will take them - I've caught alot of channels - walleye - and some real nice wipers with them. I generally only use them when I know the fish are active - not for a "searching" bait. There are usually alot of shad up when I'll use them and I think some of the fish like something a little diff. Plus they're already feeding and they don't have to chase it down - I think they smell it and look to investagate and there it is - easy pickings - if the tubes are loaded with shad they smell them everywhere. Using cut shad they'll find it but with a leech I think they'll find it faster imo:wink:

9. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Well, no luck with leeches, but they sure tore up the goldfish and Secret 7!

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Don, I've caught lots of eating-size channels with leeches, but I don't think that you will catch any large flatties with'em. They're pretty tough and can stay on the hook even after you catch a coupla fish! If you're looking to catch some big flats, I suggest that you go with larger baits like live or cut bream.

11. catfishguy

catfishguy New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Yeah I use large live bait like goldfish and bluegill for flatheads. I just keep hearing everyone talking about using leeches. I thought I would see if anybody else was having any luck with them. I think I'll stick to oversized live fish and Secret 7.

12. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    For large flatties put 2 or 3 large leaches on a jighead and jig them slowly it works.

13. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I used leeches for the first time last night and I have to say, I LOVE THEM!!!! I used them with bluegills and everything else. I think the movement attracted them. I caught 5 fish and lost 5. The one I lost was the biggest flathead I have ever seen. Oh well, can't get em all. If you could, they wouldn't call it fishing, they would call it catching. Try using them with your bluegills, you won't regret it.:wink:

14. Scott7m

Scott7m New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    you guys are off your rocker if you think you can't catch big flatties with leeches, fished a tourney in a lake the other night. saw 3 over 40 caught on leaches. you usually have to fish them on bottom! and keep them moving, we throw out on the bottom, let them sit for 20-30 seconds, move them a few feet, let em set, and repeat til you have them back to you!