Leeches as catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by okshores17D, Jun 25, 2006.

1. okshores17D

okshores17D New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I once lived in wisconsin and for awhile did my share of waleyee fishing. I was fishing a railroad bridge one day and caught a 20 lb and a 25 lb flat head on a circle hook with three large leaches. fished with leaches for cats the rest of my stay up north with huge success in lakes and rivers and I had previously given up on catfishing where i lived due to lack of sucess with cut baits. Now that i am in oklahoma leaches are not available and shad seem to be the answer but i often wonder!

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    When I had a bait shop in southern Illinois leaches were a popular bait for going after big channels. I never used them but did sell a lot of them, seemed that when ever I was going out I was out of them. Now that I live in Louisiana can't seem to find any bait stores that have them.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

There is a guy on ebay selling live leeches I have never used them but since you guys are looking and wonder just thouht you would like to know

4. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where was your bait show?

5. butlersbeagles

butlersbeagles New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I buy all my leeches from ebay. 150-200 leaches(1lbs) for $34 that includes shipping. Thats about 13-17dz.

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Leeches are a great all around bait, the are really tough and stay on the hook good! I don't know where I could find them around here in southeastern Nebraska though!

Aaron

TA2D

7. suddawg

suddawg New Member

The leaches that I've seen in Nebraska are nothing compared to the ones I've seen in Alabama. I think I'll stick with cut Shad though.

SudDawg