Lee Production Pot IV

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Gordhawk, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was wondering if anyone has tried this melting pot,and if so how do you like it. I have been told that it is only good for making small jigs,and sinkers up to 1 oz. I would like to be able to make no-roll sinkers,up to 3 oz. in size. Does anyone know if this pot can handle this large a sinker? It says the pot is 500 watt.,and holds 10 lbs. of lead. Any information that anyone can give me on their experience with this pot would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You,
    Glenn

2. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I've got one and I've poured large weights with mine, no problem. The only thing you have to do is make sure your mold is hot, what I do to start with is to put the mold I'm going to use on top of the lead reservoir so that as the lead heats up so does the mold. Doesn't heat it up a lot but every little bit helps. Also, make sure your pot is on high and pour the lead as hot as the pot will make it, then if the mold your using has smaller weights up to the larger, pour some of the smaller first until the mold is good and hot, then pour your big ones. I'm using a very soft lead that was used on roofs for flashings but I think it should work with any type of lead. Only problem with that lee pot is mine likes to dribble out lead while it's heating up so I took a large 3oz weight and put a string through it, made a loop and hang it off the end of the handle to increase the force on the exit hole to stop the leak.

3. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks alot for that valuable information. I hear that Gander Mountain is selling these pots for $45,and I think that's a pretty good price,isn't it? I'm going to check in to it on Monday,that's why I was trying to get all of the information on it as I could before I went and bought one. Anyone else have anything to contribute,I would appreciate it.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is an excellent pot. I constantly pour up to 8 ounce bank sinkers with mine. I would just recommend you don't constantly have the full 10 pounds of lead in it...mine is starting to sag a little. But that is probably due to my abuse rather than its design. I got a mold which will make a 16 ounce bank... I'll try to remember to fire mine up and see what it does with that sinker.

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    16 ounce sinker?...?.... I think they sell those at Wal-Mart in the fishing department, they call the anchors. lol :big_smile:

6. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This pot is supposed to only have 500 watts of power. Is this enough to do what I'm wanting to do. Seems like the other posts I've read about the Lee Production Pot,they are talking about 700 watts of power. All of you guys and gals that are using the 500 watt pot let me know what you think. I don't want to buy something that is not going to serve my purpose.
    Thanks,
    Glenn

7. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I have one. It is a good pot. Ive used mine a lot and have no complaints.