LED's

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by sds888, Dec 24, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I couldnt find a good sub forum to put this under so I decided to post it here. if someone was trying to sell me a light fixture that has led's in it Spec:
    24 leds 100 degree angle
    480,000 mcd
    120 milliamps
    3.5 inch diameter

how much light would this put out? What can I compare it to a light bulb, a car light, a flood light, christmas light, etc
    Thanks for any input
    stephen

2. sparky806

sparky806 New Member

State:
    Shawnee Kansas
    alot will depend on the reflector. is this a fixture for your hause or a portable unit. if you know the model number, i can give you more info.
    richard

3. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Wow,

This is a very interesting thread, and I sure would like to know the answer myself. I have some 18ft long rope lights I use and they put out quite a bit of light for the size. I have no idea what the wattage is on them. I guess I never thought about it before.

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    How bout pluging it in and see for yourself how bright it is..L.

5. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Sorry I dont know the reflector or the model number all I know about the reflector is 100 degree and forward

I cant but thanks though they are on the internet. I am on the wrong computer to post the link. will try the next couple of days if the let me post it.

6. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    I found it pretty quickly here it is if I am allowed if not I am sorry moderator.
    http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm

if you scroll down the page it is the first one the jumbo one with 24 led's thanks
    stephen

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Amps X Volts = Watts. .120X12=1.44 X 24 = 34.56 = 35 Watt fixture. But ain't no rocket scientist.....first instinct. Good luck, er light...

8. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Could I ask why not try to buy it in person and local store.

9. sparky806

sparky806 New Member

State:
    Shawnee Kansas
    Stephen, What are you trying to light with this? The LED's that I deal with are used to light entire buildings and my manufacturers give me a whole lot more info on what I am buying. For the price, I think I would just buy one and see if it works for what you want to do. Keep in mind though, you will also need to buy a power supply for it. LED Drivers (power supply) are different than a standard 12 volt transformer, so make sure to get it when you order your fixture. If you want to research LED's before you buy, check out http://www.colorkinetics.com That is the type of LED lighting work that I do.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm glad you stepped in here Sparky:big_smile: . One of my weak points is electronics, more so than electrical theory etc.

A question though, "Isn't true that the L.E.D.'s don't have as much amperage draw as the Non-L.E.D.'s ?". This question is of course comparing apples to apples, in other words a lamp with the same candlepower output.

11. sparky806

sparky806 New Member

State:
    Shawnee Kansas
    True.....very little amp draw on an LED. As an example, look at the house on "Jingle All The Way" Incadescent lights would have drawn over 800 amps. The LED lightinf they used drew app. 127 amps.
    Richard

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    it would be nice to have rope lighting inside my boat , but would led's draw alot of juice from the 12v battery ? would i still be able to use my fish finder and running lights for extended periods of time ?

i dont mean to highjack your thread stephen , just didnt want to start a new one on the same subject.

13. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Thanks, I was relatively sure that my assumption was correct. All of my trailer lights are L.E.D. & I love 'em. I noticed that since I switched them over from conventional lamps that there is virtually no "Spark" when I hook up the trailer connector, as there was before.

I also made the mistake of putting Non-L.E.D. rope lighting all the way around the inside of my boat (20'). We were fishing all night out on the ocean & in the A.M. when we decided to crank up & go, she wouldn't crank, thank gooodness for the jumpstarter box I carry. The batteries are Commercial group 31 series & it drained BOTH of them:angry:

Now I know why the L.E.D. Rope lighting was so much more expensive.

14. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Thanks I was thinking about lighting the boat and have some to light up the water. I am just in the thinking stage. I did not know they needed a different power supply. I will have to do some more thinking on this thank you for your knowledge.
    Stephen

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Stephen, there are lots of 12 volt led's out there. Look in the various marine catalogs, for instance, or auto parts stores. I have some I bought from walmart, similar to trailer clearance lights, but they were in the marine section. I bought some red and amber to experiement with. They use almost no current, and light up the boat pretty good at night. I installed an amber underneath my center console, works along with the courtesy light switch, and lights up that area pretty good. The red color doesn't interfere with my night vision as an area light, and with a small strip of silver reflective tape on my rod tips, they stand out like crasy in the red light. I'm still playing with where, or if, I want to mount them permanently. I still use an led headlamp (red/white bulbs) for close-up work if needed.

16. sparky806

sparky806 New Member

State:
    Shawnee Kansas
    If you use the LED's made for auto/marine use, then you won't need a power supply. Your boats battery will work just fine. You should be able to run alot of LED's all night and not run down the battery. I would leave them on all night in the drive way and see what it did to my battery before I put it in the water though.