led rope lights

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by catfish kenny, Dec 5, 2007.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    me and my brother have a idea and i would like to know if anyone has tried it.Run rope led lights in the inside of your boat for night fishing,you wouldnt use em much but being down you could see the floor ....to bait and stuff.there kind of pricy but convience is everything sometimes

2. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I just bought a $10 led headlamp and it works well for nightfishing.
    Would be something to think about.

3. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kenny I think they will work fine. In my area guys that gig alot in the winter use them around the fish tub, so they have a little light to see were to knock the fish off the gig.
    I just put a license plate light inside my bait tank for jug fishing at night ,but haven't tryed it yet. Good Luck let us know it works.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i also use the headlamps w/red leds for night vision, but thought about putting those around the rails on the floor of my pontoon!!!Good idea

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    fellas have led headlamps but the bugz zero in on your face.........

6. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Give it a try Kenny and let us know how it works. These new red christmas lights in a tube are certainly less expensive and less work than running seperate fixtures.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    By any chance you have a pic of them, I am not surre what your talking about......The ropes are kind of pricy to.

8. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Kenny,
    I bought a set of under car LED light strips for my tracker about three years ago. They are flexible and worked great bending around the inside of the gunnel's. I gave just under a $100 for the kit but they have came down since them. I have seen them on Ebay for half of that.
    If I am being honest I never use them. They are very bright and work great. They work better than I need. I went with white lights and after I turn them on I am blind for several minutes after they are turned off. I only use them for the kids to get on or off the boat at night. If I had it to do over I would try them again, only in red. I think well placed 12 volt led lights (three or four) and a head lamp would get the job done. At least that is what I am doing on my new boat.
    I hope this helps,
    David

9. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ill try to remember next time I go out shopping in the next few days. They are all over here in St Louis for the outdoor christmas lights with I think??? red, green and white lights in the seperate strands. Half off or discounted sales should be starting soon. Might be worth considering.

10. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    So how r u gonna power them?
    An inverter would probably work OK but would add to the cost.

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Very true and that is why I want to go with 12volt I do not have a charging system on my boat it is a small jon but I have it loaded for kitty:wink:

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    That is why I went with the under car kit. It is 12 volt and draws very little power. I can't find them just like the set I bought but you can find them on Ebay doing a search for under car led. The power inverters also will wast a lot on battery power. They will draw a lot more current than the led lights would ever use. IMHO

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Guys I have used both red and white and have since found that the green works better for the bugs and don't hurt your eyes and give off enough light to see by also. I am going to install them all over my toon with seperate turn off or on switches installed at different places.

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thank you Willard now I know what I need.Knew some one would of thought of and or tried it. I am also planning on seperate switches

15. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Walmart carrys the 18 feet of indoor outdoor light rope for just under 9 dollars. Looks like they will work. Ive got a small power inverter that cost about 30 dollars that I wanted to install in the boat anyhow to charge my other electronics batterys anyhow. You never know when you might need a blender out there to make some fresh chum....

16. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I still like the seasense dual red/white light that I installed in my boat. It was about $20 but it works great and it uses about 1/10th of the battery of normal lights so you won't use a lot of battery power. Which is great if you want to pull a all nighter.

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thank you very muchfellas

18. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    Cabalas sells 12v rope lights for not all that expensive. If i remember right it is like $15 for a ten foot length. I have been thinking about putting them in my jon boat.

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got another question about the rope lights, both 110v & 12v. Some time back, I saw a rope light that wasn't working, and the owner said that it was because a bulb was burned out. Now back when I was a youngster, Christmas lights were all wired in series, which meant that when one light went out, they all went out. But for decades now, Christmas lights have been wired in parallel, which means that when one light goes out, all the others keep burning. Personally, I wouldn't have a set of lights now that were wired in series. Searching for that one bad light is a real bummer. Can anybody provide some actual experience with one light burning out on a rope light?

20. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jerry on mine that I have if one bulb burns out the other ones keep burning.