LED Lighting

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by tkishkape, Mar 24, 2008.

1. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    I have just received a shipment of LED's to provide interior lighting in my boat. I intend to fish at night in the summer, so there are red and white LED's to install.

What I have recieved is two packages of bare-bones LEDs and and an equal number of 1/4Watt resistors.

The white ones are 10mm 160,000mcd LED's drawing 20ma @ 3.5vdc using 470ohm 1/4W resistors

The red ones are 10mm 60,000mcd LED's drawing 20ma @ 2.0vdc using 560ohm 1/4W resistors

My problem is how to mount these. I want to put groups of three LED's (one red, two white) in a 4" long waterproof horizontal mounting in several locations inside the boat, positioned so that they throw the light down and horizontally, with no light escaping upwards from the boat.

I want to provide red night-vision-saving light for safer fishing, and white light for those moments that it is necessary for safety to life and limb. Each color will be switched separately.

My problem is in the mounting... I need suggestions on how to make or adapt an existing mounting to do this job. Each LED is a separate unit, bare bones with the bare tinned wires sticking out 2".

I'm entertaining an idea that would hold the assembled and soldered resistor and LED assembly in position while casting polymer sets up in the mold. The cord would be cast in the back of the polymer mold to be inserted thru the bulkhead that the light is mounted to.

Any and all ideas and suggestions appreciated.

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I cast leds in epoxy resin for my nav lights and anchor lights. Worked pretty well. Radio Shack also sells metal LED bases that are threaded so you can install your LED and then screw it into some kind of backing if you'd like. They weren't that expensive if I remember right and they're also chrome so they act as reflectors and give you some added brightness. Link is to the anchor light I made. Good luck with it!

Branden

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75252

3. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Thanks, Branden!

Those pictures are cool!

4. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Could you PM me and let me know where you bought them at and if there Bright enough. I want to install some on my pontoon boat that im fixing up.. and the cost of each package.... I want to go around the rails of each side of the boat and put a red and a white at each outlet... and be able to turn each one off at the lite itself. or choose either red or white what ever the case may be... thanks

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Search for post by "skipeye" on this site. He just did an installation on his boat and hid all the wires. He posted pics. Looks real good.

6. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I am in the process of setting up a pontoon for cattin and I recently bought 18ft of red led rope lighting from a seller on ebay for 38.00 shipped to my door. Have only hooked them up to test they work but at this point I am totally satisfied. I will run these around the railing and will have them hooked up through a dimmer so that I can control the brightness to suite my needs at the time.
    I will also probably also order about 12 feet of the white leds to install inside the bimini top on the rails as well again through a dimmer. Since I am going to have a half camper enclosure set up on this the white lights will come in handy and being leds the draw on the battery will be minimal.

Heck I even picked up one of the 39 led 1004 style bulbs for my anchor light!
    Anybody that is interested send me a pm and I will send you the sellers names I dealt with on ebay. All of them got me exactly what they advertised very quickly!

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've been looking at LED marker lights the kind they use on semi's
    Haven't really priced them yet but they are self contained and waterproof.
    Best of luck and let me know if you try them.
    just

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I did some work for this guy when he was running this business out of his home.
    He gave me some samples.

This is the route I'll go. They are pretty inexpensive and the mountings are taken care of.

http://www.customdynamics.com/

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hey Mark

I let my motorcycle licence expire years ago and haven't even ridden in years. I'm wondering if lighting up your bike like those pix on custom dynamics web site affects your night vision. I can see where it would be helpful so other drivers see you which is pretty important. Its also important to see that deer just entering your headlight beam. Just wondering.
    have a good one
    just