Lebanon Missouri, Aluminum Boat Capital of World

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by GaryF, Apr 15, 2008.

1. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    This was kind of an interesting read about the history of the aluminum boat industry in Lebanon:

http://www.ruralmissouri.org/02pages/Mar02boats.html

"The highway is lined with boat factories — Tracker Marine, Landau Boats, Generation 3 and Lowe Boats. Elsewhere around Lebanon is Osage Canoes and Sundancer Boats. It's easy to see why Lebanon is considered the aluminum boat capital of the world."

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Frist boat I ever own was Applebye 10 foot cost was 40.00 I believe, paddle power, great milage on fuel did put a motor on it later, don't know how, sure wouldn't get in boat that small know, with motor.
    Jim

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I know what you mean Jim. Sometimes I'm amazed that I survived my younger days.

I always had kind of a soft spot for that part of the country. My dad was born just north of Lebanon in a place called Dove, Mo. And I had an uncle with a big farm near there, he was also a Laclede County judge based out of Lebanon. As a kid I spent many a deer season tromping around in the woods at my uncles farm.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Jim. I didnt know they even made boats that long ago unless they were carved out of trees. :smile2::wink::smile2:

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Your right about that I'm from the oar and wooden boat era. remeber when neighbor got a 5hp sea king, thought he was in tall cotten.back then, put boat in and let it swell up for a few days, and carry a dip can to dip water out. also cotton trot line, 3 days in then take out and let dry. any one else rember that far back.
    boats have come a long way. Thanks for article Gary, brings back memorys.
    I'll get you later Troy.
    Jim:wink:

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    wow sure wish you could still get a 14 footer with an outboard for 70 bucks!

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Jim, since your old buddy Troy brought it up, thought I'd keep it going. I had the great privilege of crossing paths with a lot of old timers that use to commercial fish. They would row up river for 1 mile then work their lines down. Day after day... Everyone of these guys to this day have a strong upper body... all the while cuss'n cause their legs don't work right by getting them to their boats when they would like... my grandfather had one of those 5hp on his boat but I remember the rowing stories well, how him and his brother would row upriver on the Missouri. That was the big macho thing to do in his time and they took great pride even to the point of having races. Jim, for his trot line he would use parachute cord... He caught a lot of 70 lb'ers but would always refer to distance between the eyes as his scale for a large fish. I spent many of nights in that little 5hp river boat running lines with a coleman lantern mounted in front with sheet metal covering the back half of it taking the glare off and it illuminated everything ahead. Oh yeh, coming in to his place with that little aluminum boat trailering behind we would pass up his old wooden boat out in the yard then used as a big flower pot.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Kenner Boats, bought Generation 3 and continues to make them. My "Kutters Katter" Center Console is one of them. Well, the base is. Hardly recognizable after the modifications I made.

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    thanks for the info enjoyed my reading

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    good imfo gary thanks,Jim dont let them guy get to ya ,your still the best buddie a person can have.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    My first boat was a 12' flat bottom. Cypress gunnals and a plywood bottom. I remember the old cross lay bottom boats that had packing between the boards. Let er sit in the water a few days and she would get tite as a drum. Life for me was much easier then. I left my boat tied up under Wattensaw bridge trappin out of it one winter and the stinkin beavers knawed a hole thru the head block in it. I would give anything to have it today.

12. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    When I was in High School, my family lived in Wright County about 1/2 hr south of Lebanon. Lebanon was about the nearest town with both a movie theater and traffic lights. Good times.

Those creeks, woods, meadows, caves, and bluffs are never too far away to visit.

13. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    YOu guys are really telling you age. :big_smile_2:

14. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Thats because of all the aluminun beer cans they recycle there :)

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    So your telling me that my new boat was made from beer cans? (Thinks about this for a second) Cool :big_smile:

16. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Yep,the plug is a bitch to put back after ya yank it open:0a17::0a37:

17. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I now have a 16' jon that I complain is too small for me and my gear. Years ago my buddy and I used to spend the night fishing out of the boat on the merimac out of a 10' simi-v with a 3.5 horse motor. If the bugs got bad we would start up that motor and presto...no bugs..it was a little hard to breath with all that smoke but no bugs!

18. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Dave53, Cook? Are you guys related? Look at those avatars! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: