Leaving your handgun in your truck?

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by daniel-delarosa, Jul 11, 2008.

1. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Do any of ya'll leave a gun in your truck for extended periods of time? I just bought a new dodge and it has a compartment under the center console. It is a perfect storage spot for my pistol. I got to thinking about the humidity here in oklahoma and was wondering if anyone has had any problems with moisture.

2. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Get a dry packet and lay your weapon on it!:big_smile:

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Daniel,I used to have a sweet marlin model 39TDS,it had a short scabbard that came with it. I was living and working near you in Stigler. Had that gun under the seat of my truck in the case for a week,took it out ,and the damage was done,Crusty scabs on the barrel. I would put it in a silicone gunsock if I ever did it again.

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Always you give great advice, good man!

5. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have 2 handguns in my truck right now. i wipe them dowm with gun oil every 2 weeks without problems. i agree with Richard on the silicone impregnated gun socks . they are probably the best protection on the market. if you intend to protect yourself in a defensive situation i recomend that you just keep em oiled and ready to rock. if a car jacker happens up on you at a stop light you ain't gonna want to mess with fumbleing aroun trying to free your weapon from an enclosed scabbard.

6. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma

Good point. But I am having a hard time finding a good holster that can be conceled. I have just been going holsterless with my gun in my waistline. I dont really like that either, thats why I have just been leaving my gun in the truck.

7. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i uderstand your position. i have been there . i finally had to compromise and find a carry gun that was comfortable.i have something to make you leave me alone in my pocket while i make my way to the truck to dig out real firepower so i can drive to the house where the superior bang sticks are located........ i recomend checking out bianchi for your leather.

8. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    Like Richard said, use a silicone sock, I spray down my pistol with Rem. oil once in a while.
    I carry a .380 in my pocket.
    Hard to carry a gun in hot weather, but you might want to look into these www.crossbreedholsters.com
    Mark

9. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have a stainless snub nosed Taurus .357 that I purchased just to leave in my truck. It has had bad things happen to it during various fishing outings but it cleans up nice and still shoots well. I decided on the Taurus so that I wouldn't have to worry about my vehicle being burglarized and losing a more expensive firearm or even my duty weapon.

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Good advice. The only thing I leave cased are beaters that are at least as well used and scarred as me.

11. mrmikewattsbar

mrmikewattsbar New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you can find it theres a name brand called bullfrog. They make a thin flimsy allmost paper like gun sleeves that are water proof, plus they make a little cup that has a tear off lid that looks like the bar b que or sweet n sour cups you get from Mcdonalds™, in these cups are a sponge, they eat,consume,destroy oxygen and harmfull moisture but they leave oil alone.
    A buddy of mine brought me a big box of their products, he was doing a sales call on them for some kind of plastic and was amazed by the preformance.

They even have a spray / rust inhibitor oil that smells like maple syrup but works as good or not better than RIG™ or cosmolene.

Clean your gun then spray it, let it dry, put it in one of their sleeves and pop the little cup open and toss it in with the firearm.
    Ive had a blue finish 2" S&W 357 in this set up since last spring, pulled it out twice to check it cause it didnt believe the claims. It was just as good as i put it in. only thing is if you open their bag you need to pop in another little cup. Its been on my boat, in my truck, garage, above 100 deg and at least down to freezing.
    The papers that come with it says as long as the cup is in a sealed enviroment it causes some kinda positive air pressure or membrain that is awesome aginst rust and moisture.
    I pop one in my tackle boxes when im not going to fish for more than a few weeks and never gotten any rust on pliers or hooks.I wouldnt use the spray in there cause it smells like maple syrup.

Supposedly you can take their flimsy bag and pop a cup in it add a firearm thats been sprayed and zip it up and drop it in a bucket of water and 90 days later your firearm will be the same. Im not trying that with my gun, but if you try it let me know.

12. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That sounds good but I like to know that all I have to do is grab my firearm and use it, not fiddle with ziploc bags and other containers as the bad guy strolls up to my vehicle while I'm stuck in traffic or just pulled up on some sort of violent situation. What if I'm distracted by something else and don't see his approach? Most attackers use the element of surprise to gain an advantage on their victim. If I am able to keep him busy long enough with one arm I can still get my firearm with the other without needing a large amount of hand eye coordination to bring my firearm into action. But then again I can legally carry my firearm loaded inside my vehicle for protection.

13. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

Man, with all you guys carrying these weapons it sure makes you think twice about getting into a good old fashioned fist fight.
    :big_smile:

14. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well unfortunately the good ol fashioned fist fight is a rare occurence anymore. Plus my department encourages us to carry off-duty. Not only does my firearm protect me, but innocent civilians also. Police officers are never really "off work" like most people.

15. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I use a holster even in a vehicle. Zipp tied to the steering column, or in my truck, under the fold down center console laying on the seat retained with the center seat belt. You won't have time to open a console, but you can slide a hand under something unobstructed, release the retention strap and still draw fairly fast.
    But even if you carry daily, you will need to PM the gun more than locked up safe and dry. Stainless is really nice. And plastic and stainless is even better.
    :big_smile:

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    But, that has never stopped me....

Years ago my wife and I were traveling on a huge motorcycle, touring the Southwest and then on to Canada.

Canada, as you migh know, has some very strict gun laws. It takes an act of God to get permission for a Yank to take a handgun into Canada!

I had tried to secure Canadian permission prior to us leaving Oklahoma (I had furnished copies of my Deputy Sheriff's Commission Card, and a letter from my Sheriff) But, I was informed in no uncertain terms that no Okie was going to bring a handgun into their lovely country!

So I did what any Okie in good standing would do...when I was withing 5 miles of the Canadian border I hid my S&W .38 Chief in a leather pouch under a saddle bag! And, made it thru the border check point although I did have to give up a canister of Mace to the Crown! (that is another long story!)

After a week of riding in the rain, and arriving safely back on the USA side, I pulled the saddle bag and retrieved the Chief. It was covered wtih rust! I then made another mistake. I sprayed the gun with WD-40 and wrapped it in a cloth.

Later, after returning home and after removing most of the rust, I decided to fire the Chief. So I reloaded the 5 rounds that had been in the gun during the Canadian trip.

First round fired went "poof"...not the normal bang! I thought that was strange, but, not being the smartest lad on the block, I pulled the trigger again...however now the trigger couldn't turn the cylinder.

Turned out that the WD-40 had entered all 5 cartridges, and messed up the powder. The bullet of the first round fired had just entered the barrel, jamming so the cylinder couldn't turn for the second shot!

If the fired bullet had traveled another inch the second round would have fired...with the barrel blocked. The only thing that might have saved me from a hand injury was that the weaken powder might not have had enough force to blow the barrel apart.

No more WD-40 near my bullets!!:cool2:

I carry a small .380 in a pocket holster when driving my truck. If I have to remove it to go into a bank or such, i lay it on the seat and cover it with a orange/red wipe cloth.

In my wife's car is a .22 mag Derringer in the center console. I used to carry a 20 gage pump sawed off shotgun in the trunk of her car...but, since all of my enemies are long dead, I rarely do that anymore!

I've never had a problem with the Derringer or shot gun rusting.

17. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Since I'm not too crazy about the idea of a gunfight, either, I try to never let an opportuity to keep my mouth shut get by me.

18. seokfisherman

seokfisherman Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I sure wish that worked all of the time. If it did, I would have to get a new job!

19. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I probably should say anything, but, are any of you worried about someone stealing your handgun out of your truck or boat or camper? Especially if you are leaving it in there all the time. I dont think Id be too happy losing a gun, especially if it was used wrongly and some innocent got killed.

20. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I can't speak for anyone except myself, but, the only way I know to keep someone from stealing one of my guns is not have any guns! Or keep all of them in my bank safety deposit box.

Keeping guns in a home is not all that much safer than keeping them in a locked car or truck...in my humble opinion.

I don't believe anyone would be happy should someone steal and use one of their guns to kill an innocent person. But, personally, I would not feel any more responsible for the death, then if one of the guns I have sold was used to kill someone.