Leaving my boat in a slip.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by catsmith1, Apr 23, 2007.

1. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I am thinking of leaving my boat in a slip on a local lake. It is covered and at a camp/restaurant where there is about 30 camps.

My question is: What do I need to know about leaving it for a couple months at a time and fishing a couple times a week?

I am open for any tips!

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If it is aluminum I would seriously rethink it.
    I got a couple of pontoons I can show you:big_smile:

3. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    It is a 2003 Alumacraft john.

I am not sure but I think they have a couple with lifts.

4. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i would go with the lifts if i were to do it, but i would personally just suck up the gas milage and not have to worry bout it.

make sure the area is secured by means of having to check into the place to go out by the boats, if not your boat may be gone into by random people.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    My Kayot pontoon boat was in the water for over 10 continuous years until I changed boat docks and installed a lift. During the summer months this is a very busy part of the lake and the wave action is strong. No damage what so ever to the pontoons other than a layer of crud that I would brush off once a year. The boat has a metal roof and I had to have some braces built for the roof supports due to the strong wave action.
    Been on a lift now for 3 years, all is peace and quite.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A private dock I would be alot less worried about.
    Marinas on the other hand are a different story. You are completely relying on someone else to have an electrical system up to par and well maintained. Its true that water and electricity dont mix. We're talking minute voltages here that you cant feel in or out of the water. Something caused by something so simple like a ground becoming detached from an outlet or something as severe as an electrical pipe with a crack in it or a broken fitting in contact with the water.

This pontoon boat I'm redoing. I've already got around 100 hours invested in repairing just the pontoons and I'm not through yet. It sat in salt water. Leaky electricity, salt water, it doesnt matter, its the same cause and effect.
    Electrolosis.
    Looks like worms have had a field day. The really downside is you cant heliarc anything below the waterline on these toons because of the contamination without great risk of doing even more damage. Organisms, funk, and junk bury in these pits. The upside. Marine coatings have advanced alot in the last 10-15 years. So have metal fillers.