Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Leave gas line plugged in or not

7K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  RobertHan 
#1 ·
Been a owner of a boat and motor for many years, I try to go at least twice a month through the summer and have always left the fuel hose hooked up to the motor for no other reason than keeping dirt out. Some guys at work and I were talking and some unplug and some don’t and some just unplug during long storage.
Interested what you guys do.
Thanks in advance

#4 · (Edited)
Have always left my gas line hooked up. This last engine i bought ( tohatsu ) will flood if the line is left hooked. For the time being am leaving it unhooked. The gas cap for pollution control to keep fumes ? Out of the air. It can take air in thru the gas cap but can't expell. Am modifying the cap to where it can breathe. The engine ( 20hp) runs great but will be flooded at the ramp when you get ready to cold start, if you leave the line hooked up. The tank will swell up. First time i have ever seen anything like it.

#8 ·
Thirty years ago when I got the little Honda outboard for my john boat, I found that when it was parked for a good while like over the winter, if I didn't leave the fuel line plugged in on the motor connector, the oring would dry out and then leak the next time I plugged it in and pumped up the bulb.
So for the last 28 years it has stayed plugged in year round and has not leaked a drop.

...W

#9 ·
If there’s any worries about having the carbs full of fuel over the winter and possible ethanol damage from sitting. Just unhook it and let it run till it’s outa gas and won’t restart then plug er back in and store it up. That’s what I do to all my stuff that sits throughout winter line weed eater mower pressure washer and generator. Always fill the fuel tank all the way up so that there’s very little air in the tank to condensate during temp fluctuations.

#10 ·
I disconnect the fuel line and run the carbs dry. When I was using the 6gal tank if I let it hooked up it would drain most of the tank. I keep my motor tipped up thee tank would heat up and push the gas out. And the oil would dry up in the carb bowels too. I put in a 16gal boat tank it has a vent but I still unhook the hose. The carbs get fresh gas runs like a top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.