learning to locate flatties w/ depth-finder

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Riverwalker, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Riverwalker

Riverwalker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hey guys, i got a x-96 lowrance for christmas and i just bought me a jon boat today. im ready to hit the grand river!! i thought id see if anybody had some good advice as to what to look for on my sonar or settings to tweak on. ive never used a depth-finder before and i really want to take advantage of it. any advice on some key things to look for would be great! i definetly want to have some good spots picked out before spring hits. im new to the BOC i figured i could find out all the info i need here. thanks

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Chris, I just got the same unit, have had it out a couple of times, and I think I need to get it out some more...!!!

I don't have a clue how to "read" it,, So, maybe, we'll both get some good data here...

I bought it, just to have an idea of depth in the Colorado river where I fish, and would like to use more of it's capabilities.. but,, it's going to have a learning curve , for me anyway..

3. Riverwalker

Riverwalker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    LOL ya i hear ya snagged2 i cant read the thing either. i bought mine for the same reason here on the grand. i hope i can learn how to use everything on it but i think it would be easier if somebody just showed me how :smile2: lol

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I bought a Himminbird LCR400 some years ago and the owner/operaters manual proved Priceless with it. I showed how to put it in Demo mode to let ya learn of all the functions on it.
    I'm wanting to upgrade to a newer version of Humminbird that shows the fish with individual depths though. The LCR400 was top of the line 25 yrs. ago I've used it on 3different boats so I have got my moneys worth out of it . It still works fine. Hope This Helps.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't know your new unit at all, but for any depth finder I think there are 2 things to do:

1. Read the entire manual and PLAY with that thing a bunch in the demo mode, before you ever mount it on a boat, so that you are familiar with the controls and all.

2. Spend a bunch of time with it on the water. It would be worth going out a time or two with the unit before the season really gets started and work with the finder a bunch to get used to how it acts on the water and how it shows different stuff. Bring along a rod with just a sinker tied on the end and use that as a probe to sort of "ground truth" what the sonar is telling you. Bring along another rod and fish a bit for white bass or crappie or whatever you might have a shot at right now, but mostly work with the finder.

As for what to look for to locate flatheads? The usual stuff - the submerged wood, holes, submerged wood in holes, the way a log jam looks below the surface, woody cover, etc.

Oh, and if it makes those cute little fishy shapes on the screen, TURN THEM OFF.

6. Riverwalker

Riverwalker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    thanks for the advice john. that is my plan to take it out now and figure out how to read it, good idea on the sinker. im taking it out on the river this weekend to play with it and maybe wet a line:wink:

7. runabout199

runabout199 New Member

State:
    Cartersville, G
    look for big blobs and baitfish thats what i look for

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
  9. Riverwalker

Riverwalker New Member

State:
    Missouri
    hey thanks guys!! the info is helpful. rollo that thread helps out alot anything that will help me learn how to read this thing is very helpful. i,ll take all the info i can get!! keep em coming lol