Learning to flyfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by mte, Jan 29, 2010.

1. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    Ok guys, I know how most feel about trout, but, if anybody is interested in learning how to flyfish give me a shout or send a PM and we'll see what we can do about it. The streams will be getting stocked in the next month or so and it will be a good time to learn. Flies are often the quickest way to a bucket full of bait.

2. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    i just got in to fly fishing last winter for steelies, never tryed for trout. but it's a blast when you hook up with a steelhead.i just never really bothered for trout i don't even do that much trout fishing anymore. but thanks for the offer. wounder if i could get a flatty on the fly.....LOL!!!

3. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    I'm sure you could with big streamers. I've caught channel cats when fishing for smallmouths and even caught a couple on dry flies fishing during mayfly hatches.

4. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I'll have a fly pole glued to my hands until the flatheads starts hittin. Love fly fishin for steel or trout. We have a great section of Delay Harvest/Artif. Lure Only stream here and its a great place to get away from the crowds on the first few days of the season. After that, its back to the regular section for bait aquisition. Them flatties love trout!!!

I catch alot of my gills and bass for bait on flies too.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have just as much or even better success with a noodle rod spinning combo lined with 4lb Seagar flourocarbon baited with corn or waxworms.

In fact, Romo outfished a bunch of fly rodders on their own turf (Valley Creek) with bread and an icejig!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Not into fly fishing right now..... did that in 1958...... for several years and even made my own pole, tied fly etc etc.

It was the first way that my son caught fish at a local pond, as he "dapped" a fly from a stick with 3/4 lb line....

What a blast he had.....CPR. kicked arce in catching em......but that was 25 yrs back...

Would be a lot of action with the arm to do it for cats..... but some holes sure would make it nice....especially with poppers, but streamers would probably be more of a searching lure....

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    blacky your talking apples and oranges... i have out fished bait guys plenty of time, but live bait should out produce fake on a regular bases. however taking time to learn and master the skill of fly fishing is something else.

where do you all fish in PA. i have fished quite a bit on the north side of union town. it is a great time. i love to fish, and fly fishing is just another way for me to smell like a fish again. when i chase bait, i will use a lot of my fly gear to catch it.

it is funny to me that guys call them selves "fisherman" but only like to catch one type of fish and use one style of fishing, yet claim they dont enjoy anyother way or type. a true fisherman, just loves to fish and the challenges of catching them different ways. sorry i started to go on a rant, so ill stop at that.

8. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    It's not always about numbers or size of the fish caught. Fly fishing is simply a different method of getting out and enjoying the outdoors. Scroll down the page of the link below. James River flathead

http://floridasportfishing.com/maga...er/hot-news-from-the-igfa-october-2008/8.html
    Thanks for your reply.
    Mike

9. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    wow a 29lber on the fly, thats pretty cool thanks for the info. i have a 8 wt setup i could use, might have to give it a shot this year. would be a blast to get a cat on a fly rod.

10. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I usually cant stand going to the creek during the first 2 weeks. I would be up for some fly fishing with you Mike Im a little rusty but I always enjoy getting out there.

11. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I love fly fishing.. I spend my day fly fishing then nights fishing for flatheads MUHAHA

12. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i got a buddy thats brother swares he catches cats on a fly rod, but i have never seen it or done it...

13. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
  14. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yeah, but go to a delayed harvest artificial lure place and the guy with the flyrod will make you look like a schoolboy with a cane pole. Not all trout are that stupid, catch 'em and let them go again they start to get a little smarter.

15. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
  16. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Here's a nice carp caught on a 3 wt. fly rod. May look you up Mike.

Ray

Attached Files:

17. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Im not sure how it is in different areas, but in the DHALO area here, Trout Unlimited stocks most of the fish in the section. These fish arent true stockies that have been fed pellets out of a feeder all their lives. TU has the fish in a section of water where they see natural food and and are just subsidized with artificial food. A little more challanging than powerbait and corn.

18. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    Nice fish Ray, I've only ever caught a couple of carp on the fly. They came from Donegal Creek on nymphs.

19. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The actual fishing technique is way too much effort for some folks to learn, and is not for everybody. Once learned, you do get a feeling of accomplishment.

I taught myself, and got good enough to catch bass, bream, which are a riot on light wieght equipment, then advanced to salt water flats fishing.

Anyone can be taught to cast a wieghted line, and with patients , they can be taught to cast a line with no wieght, using fly fishing equipment, even children, once they realize it's not the wieght, but the line itself you're casting.

My next venture will be deep water Spanish Mackeral.

20. crazie chick

crazie chick New Member

State:
    Pa
    Great thread Mte. Fly fishing is definitely not for everyone. I messed around with a fly rod when I was a kid. My son loves to fly fish. We are by no means good at it but we can catch fish. What I like most about this type of fishing is the hand made flies. I learned how to make jigs this year and now I am making some of them look like certain flies. Very cool!

Great articles too.....Thanks