learning to flathead fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by brianm360, Mar 28, 2009.

1. brianm360

brianm360 New Member

State:
    east peoria, Il.
    im from peoria and i dont konw if this part of the river has good flathead fishing if anyone can give me genral tips and maybe some loc. on river where to start. never fished for them but realllllly intreseted in them.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Well, you certainly came to the right place. Welcome to the B.O.C., plenty of flathead experts here on the forums and a few members from your area. Creek mouths are a good place to start when trying to locate flatheads. Also rock and concrete structure below the surface are good flathead hangouts.

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    structure, flats, and current breaks. these are all good but if you can find all three JACKPOT.

4. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Live bait, good equipment, fish near structure, rip rap, wooded areas bein best, creek mouths, eddies, try to cover a few different depths because flats will come into shallows at night, and have patience. Good luck to ya.

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
  6. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    I fish lakes not rivers <yet> (TIME) is the most inportant thing for catching flats. Live bait is- best -it does'nt get to big. Knowladge of the area were your going to fish. (target structure.) Water temp . I find fishing for bait fish in an aruond the exact area you target weather it be blue gills ,shade,crappie,mudd cats,whatever you catch the most of in that area thats your best bait for that target!
    sound silly? try to understand the way this fish feeds BECAUSE thats all it does. Flats lay in cover an waits for food to come to it.... and it has all the ( TIME ) in the world. If ing the ( TIME ) is right u just might get that bite. HOPE this is some help? remeber IF u dont go u dont no. time, time time.. :wink: BIG powerful fish takes BIG powerful tackel

7. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    its a never ending learning thing caught this little one on 4-3-09 :wink:

Attached Files:

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Whats the deal there looks like everything was cold cept yer left hand :wink: :tounge_out:

9. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    takes an expert to notice the small thangs! that was to hide the blood.on me from that lil fish.....:embarassed:Wwwwwwwah Man that lil guy bite the sh!t out of me.LEASON#1 on cold days when a man has got numb fingers from the cold ( DO-NOT ) I repeat ( DO-NOT ) try to lip a cold water shovelhead whit-out at least ONE GLOVE I'm thinking cold water flat do'nt like you taken'em out of the water an into colder air temps than water temps just taken'em out of the water makes'em a'lil cranky ......... Every time I catch a shovelhead .It's a learning THANG! :crazy::eek:oooh:

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :smile2: No sure on the expert side of it, but definitely the Experienced side of it,,,, Battle Scars are only fair, Right? :smile2:

11. dsmith_85

dsmith_85 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i live near peoria best spot i have found in the area is any older structure you can find and sand point just up stream from 74 bridge. there is a bouie on the south side of the river and a sand point there when river is down. lots of bait fish hang around there and alot of debre gets washed around the point and left there. good from that point to walmart.