Learning to fish for flathead catfish "my son"

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flathunter, Jan 27, 2006.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My son steven was a dedicated fisherman for several years, that is untill he hit the age of 16 and discoverd girls and cars..I still get him to go a few times a year, I hope he comes around in a few years and realizes what he is missing.

Below is a cople pics, my son at age 10 with his first flathead, a little 5-lb fish, the second pic is his biggest flathead 20 -lbs at age 14.

Attached Files:

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heres a couple more pics of my son with fish, I miss the times we spent together, but I realize it's part of growing up.

Attached Files:

3. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I know what you mean! I told my Dad about 20 years ago "Why didn't you just have me nutered when I was about 16? I would be a Millionare by now, own lots of boats & fishing tackle, be retired, etc." He just laughed and said "Son I tried to tell you, but you said I was old and didn't understand how things were now!":eek:

Now I understand what is important in life. :)

Frank

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thank god my wife still like to fish with me, we dont have time to fish much together, but when we do we enjoy it. Below is a pic of her with a small flathead.

Attached Files:

5. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Great picture, now that is memories!

Frank

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Heres my wife with a channel cat

Attached Files:

7. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    that's some great pictures. i wish i had listened to my dad years ago when he said,"forget about the girls and keep fishing". but you know how it is when your 17. you know it all and dad is just a dumb old man.

my goal in life is to one day be half as smart as i thought i was at 17.

great pictures and i'm sure great memories.

8. coondog

coondog New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have a son 18 and daughter 13, the older they get the dumber I become.

9. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Don't worry he will. I did the same thing and a few years later my dad became my best friend and fishing partner. I hope he will appreciate you as much as I ended up appreciating my dad. I miss him very much and wish he could see where I fish now. He'd love it here. Thanks Jack for a great post.

10. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Heck, I think most of us forget about fishing at that age. I was a die hard fisherman till I was around 15 or so. Then I didn't pick up a rod for about four years until a friend invited me fishing. I thought to myself "gee your pretty stupid to have skipped out on fishing this long"

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Hang in there Jack, my son is now 33 and starting to show an interest again. I am sure yours will also at some point bud. He still has those memories of fishing and catching those big cats with dad, as they get older those thoughts carry weight.;)

12. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    nice pics...........where do you guys do most of your fishing?? is that on the Sciota??

13. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    Well I have to say that at that age I took the girls I dated fishing, It was the best of both worlds. Now my daughters ages 18 and 21 still go fishing with me, they just bring along their boyfriends. If the boyfriend cant fish I tell them they have to either convert/teach them or get rid of them...lol;)

14. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    my daughters two right now, i might wait till shes two and a half to take her fishing.

15. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    It wasn't at sixteen and i discovered girls that i stopped fishing,it was when i got married and had kids,now my oldest son is 5 and he loves fishing as much as i do.He is already asking me when we are going catfishing.I just hope he loves to fish as much when he gets older as he does now

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I Have To Come Clean.......

Jack should feel very bad. The only reason he wants Steven to come fishing more often is that he is tired of carrying so much tackle. He wants Steven to do it for him! :grin-big:

17. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Cool pics Jack. I hope he starts fishing with you again soon.:)

18. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    And all this time I thought you where carrying Jacks gear Bryan...LOL:confused:

19. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I wouldnt wait. I started taking my girls fishing before they could even walk. I feel it had such a positive influence on them. Thats why they still go with me now that they are adults.

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Tell you all a neat story.
    My brother calls me up one day says he's takin his three oldest boys out to catch some bluegills, and if I come along I can get my bait bucket full that much quicker.
    The oldest was probably 9 at the time then the 7 year old in the middle and bringing up the rear was his 2 an a half or 3 year old. The older kids we let wander up and down the bank to fish where they wanted. The youngest he put in one of those round baby seats with wheels on the bottom they can putter around in." So we could keep him close."
    He stuck a rock under a wheel so he would'nt roll in the water, casted out his bobber for him then the little guy would reel it in just as fast as he could. He caught a fish every time. He ended up with near 20 gills and his brothers only counted for three. The older ones came back because there "were'nt any fish over there", and still could'nt get a bite.
    I can still hear them complaining. LOL