Learning to Drive

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TDawgNOk, Oct 1, 2007.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    This morning, on the way to work the Alan Jackson song "Drive" was on. I've always listened to the song and smiled because it brings back memories.

Well, this morning I was driving through morning rush hour traffic in Tulsa, and for some reason it stirred me more than normal. I remember back when I was 10 y/o, at my grandma's farm. She had an old '70 Chevy pickup that was used to haul her riding mower around, and haul tree limbs and trash to the dump in her pasture. We were mowing "the little cemetary". It was an old cemetary, lost and forgotten to the county/state, that grandma had relatives in. We'd mow it once a month through the summer. Well, grandma needed the tuck moved so that my mom could mow where it was with the riding mower. I was sitting in the truck reading because I had finished mowing what I was supposed to with the push mower. Grandma slid in the truck on the passenger side. Told me turn the key, put my foot on the break, shift it into gear and put it in L1, then ease off the break. I drove that truck a whoppin 20 ft, but I felt like the biggest man and best driver in the world. From then on, my parents and my grandma had me moving the truck here, and there, until it got to the point when I was 12, they'd hop in and I'd drive to the dump in the pasture. I remember vividly, being 14, and coming home from a Boy Scout camp out, my dad was very tired. He pulled off to the side of the road, told me to trade him places. He said, stay on this road and when you get to town, pull over and we'll trade back. He leaned against the door post and went to sleep. I then drove the 30-40 miles back to Tulsa. Scared the whole time that I might wreck or get pulled over. From that moment on, I drove constantly. When I turned 16, I got my drivers license, and drove every chance I could. I loved driving. It was a great release for me. I spent $500 to buy a 1973 Chevy truck. I was so dang proud of that truck. I drove it EVERYWHERE, and ALL the time. (gas was much cheaper back then)

I said all this to come to this. Now I'm the dad. I have a 14 y/o son and an 11 y/o daughter. The thought of letting them drive scares the beejeeses outta me. We don't go out to the farm often enough for me to teach them the way I was by moving vehicles in a wide open field. The roads around Tulsa scare me sometimes because of the id10t's on the road. I know though, deep down inside that I need to find a way to teach them right. Doing as many parents do and leaving it up to the school ain't gonna cut it. They need to know how to drive in any condition, any weather, and for it to come naturally, from having to do it alot. I guess I'm just gonna have to start turning the keys over at times, and let them start like I did.

Wish me luck!

2. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    well tony, when it comes to the kids driving, just remember how you felt. Even though it may be a different world then when we grew up...kids are still kids .

take em out in the country and let em drive :0a22:

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Great post, Tony. I remember when I conned my mom into letting me drive down an old country road once... it almost didn't end so well...lol But I also remember my Uncle Tim forcing me to drive his big chevy farm truck. It was a granny-three speed (I don't count granny as a real gear...lol) I was hired on by him to build fence and had never driven a standard in my life. I was walking toward the passenger side door to get where we needed at the other end of the pasture when he said, "Wrong side, Red." Scared I was, but I didn't want to show it. So I just cracked a goofy grin and said, "awright..." Ends up that ride didn't go so smoothly either. But to this day it's still the hardest truck I've driven in my life. And I've drove a lot of trucks... It took me until I was sixteen, but I got the thing mastered. And it felt better once I realized I didn't have to worry about killing it in the middle of an intersection, than when I first drove that mini van out of the pit roads. So Tony, I too had that sense of overwhelming pride and manhood. Women just don't know what they're missing out on... ;)

-Red

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    That brings back fun memories. :big_smile:
    Back in the 60's my Dad started teaching me to drive at a very young age. I think I started around 6, sitting in his lap then moved up to a pillow under me. I also had a go cart.:cool2:

Started in an old beat up truck on deer lease, then back roads, dirt roads, too the dump. One year they got a dune buggy type thing for the deer lease. V8, 4 speed, roll bar and slick tires. Those slick tires made for some good donuts in the pasture. LOL. Guess I was around 8. I invited a friend for the hunting trip. They cut us loose in that dune buggy and man did we have fun. we had about 1000 acres to drive/hunt on. Got stuck a few times, blew out
    couple tires , ran out of gas 5 miles in the woods, walking back to camp ended up with a bag full of quail and dove for camp super. What was bad, dad gave us a gas can and said, go get it. Another 5 mile walk. LOL. :tounge_out:
    Kids grew up different in those days.

By the time I was 9 , I could drive anything with keys and loved every minute of it. When I got My D.L. I was good to go and thats when it got dangerous. LOL. I ended up moving to a big city and talk about hard driving. I learned. LMAO. :eek:oooh::roll_eyes:

My 2 boys, when they got big enough to fit in drivers seat of my truck. I would let them drive on the deer lease I had. as they learned, I let em drive back roads. By the time my Son was 12, he was backing my boat up for me at lake. Sometimes it would be just my Sons and I hunting, camping , fishing. I wanted them to know how to drive in case something happen, plus have experience before they got their D.L. I think its good for a parent to teach their kids to drive before they get their D.L. Just like hunting/fishing.

I didn't depend on Drivers Ed to teach my kids. My oldest took D. Ed in school. $200. He only got to drive 1 time in class. My youngest, we did the home school D. Ed. Much cheaper, ( $25. ) and I let him drive just bout everyday till test time.
    All that said. As a parent, when your kid gets their D.L. , takes car out on their own, to town for first time, it aint a good feeling. I'm not sure if that feeling ever gets better. LOL. I did get my Son a cell phone with 20 m's talking time. It was only to be used for emergencies and when I was looking for him. No chit chat allowed. LOL. :roll_eyes:

Tony, thanks for the memories and Good luck on teaching your kids to drive.:big_smile:

5. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    well this is a good thread. brings up a few memories for me too.

the thing it also makes me think about is my wife Amy. when i met her she had lived in so. cal. for most of her life. she had lost about 6 friends in a car accident in high school and that had her pretty well convinced that driving was the devil with gasoline. out there in s.d. she didnt have to drive. she could catch a cab, bus, or call a friend and go anywhere anytime.

i told her that alabama is not like that. she would have to drive when she got here. she put it off and put it off right up untill we hit lil' ol' baldwin county alabama. at the time i had a big/lifted ford extended cab that turned like a boat.
    well i went to work as soon as we got down here. that left her alone about 12 hours a day 6 days a week. in a strange new place, with no friends or family close by. about one month went by b4 she asked if she could start driving me to work in the mornings. i said of course (and i told you so). she had her license in less than 2 weeks.
    she still makes me nervous sometimes but that is the same as any other driver. besides i know she learned the hard way. alone, scared, and out of necessity.
    when i took off from work so she could take her test she didnt bat an eye. untill... the test lady said that she might not let her take the test in my truck because it was lifted too high. i bought her a brand new honda civic about 4 months later.
    about the end of week 1 she backed her brand new car into my truck. she was terrified and crying (i was a lil' unhappy too). but it tought her to pay alot more attention. that was 4 years ago. i still have trouble believing that a person in this day and age can be 22 years old without driving.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Excellent story "Two Dog", as all the others. I started by driving an 8N Ford tractor at seven. My Dad sitting on the left fender kicking my ankle when I started to ride the clutch trying to make a square corner mowing hay. He said once you learn how to do this you got the 52 Chevy pickup, clutch 3 speed to impress me with. And he let me and I did. The amazing thing after all these years of driving, ten's of 100,000's of miles in all kind of weather, roads and traffic I am beginning to hate it. If I could walk anymore I would. If I have a passenger in the car, wife, or friend I ask them to drive. Not that I can't, I just don't want to do it anymore. I would rather watch the corn fields go by. John.

7. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hey Guys don't get ALL the fun!

Great thread though :)

My first time driving was not exactly a happy one. My step father decided to teach me something... not sure what it was but it entailed sitting at some gruffy hard core bar room while he downed "7 and 7's". After we got kicked out of several for having a ten year old kid with him, we headed home.
    He couldn't drive, to say the least. And, I was scared. I begged to drive, because I knew even with my inexperience, I could keep it on the road better than him. He laughed, said ok and kept control of the accelerator and brakes. I steered. We made it home.
    When I turned 16, I got that same car for "mine", to drive. It was a 1973 Chevy Impala; grass green with a white vinyl top. It had a few whiskey dents and the passenger side completely crashed in. The horn blew everytime you turned left, the tires were almost bald, and the oil hadn't been changed in about 5 years. But, she ran! My first boss man used to laugh at me coming to work, because he could hear me coming long before I got there.
    I never contributed to the customization of that car, but I imagine everyone thought it was my own handiwork. I didn't care. I had wheels!

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great post,Tony. I have been letting my 10yr old daughter drive my 01 powerstroke around in our yard on weekends. Something I was never allowed to do ,till I got my drivers permit at 16.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    There were 9 of us kids so we were pretty much left alone to learn on our own how to drive and pretty much learn everything else:smile2:. The 1st thing i drove was sneaking onto Grandpas tractor when they made the mistake of leaving us well mannered kids alone:eek:oooh:. When i was 13 i had a buddy with a dirtbike and he asked me if i wanted to ride it so i jumped on and learned how to stay upright fairly quick after one or two spills in a field:after_boom:. When i was 15 i earned enough money to buy an old 67 VW beetle from my Great Uncle. I paid him and took off , I had watched others drive a standard and it didn't take to long and i was driving everywhere. I drove it to work and back, school and back, girlfriends and back, hunting, fishing just pretty much everywhere for almost a year before i even had a drivers license. I still miss that old VW, a lot of good memories. But that is basically how i learned to drive and it's a wonder i'm still alive so if you've got kids by all means teach them how to drive before they teach themselves:smile2:.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm offended by the statement OLD 70 Pickup. LOL! Thanx for the story.

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    George, that truck is REALLY old now, but, it has less than 40,000 original miles on it. Also has a 350 w/ a 2 brl carb. Still starts and runs great, just a tad bit too much dust on it these days.

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    BG, I'm a 62 model LOL and i don't feel old:wink:.

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Great topic.

It got me to thinking about my first real driving experience, working the pedals and the steering wheel. When my grandparents were at their farm I was constantly walking back to the pond, the road or anywhere and everywhere. When I was about 10-11 I somehow talked grandma into teaching me to drive. It was an old beat up 5 speed Nissan 2 door which I immediately backed into a tree.:embarassed::smile2::smile2: We still talk about that from time to time. I got the hang of it later that day and drove that thing all over the farm. After a few months I was going to get the mail down by the road and of course Id have to take it on the road, somehow I never got caught. :cool2:

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Tony for bringing back some fond and exciteing memories. We sure take on a different look at things when we get older. We once thought we knew it all and now know that we were not very smart . Appreciated

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was 8 at the time and could drive any tractor on the farm which in my mind made me a very capable driver. I approached my father and explained I should be able to drive our pickup. I could then haul him lunch, ice water and etc. I should of known the look he gave me because that look usually meant he would put me in place by never saying a word. Well he threw me the keys and we were off!!! I was king of the road till my dad's secret revenge was about to take place on Jackson's Hill the most deepest plunge in all of Shelby county!!! I geared truck down (it was a 4 speed on floor) and made it down to his satisfaction when halfway up the other side he demanded I stop truck in middle of hill. I obeyed. The sweat started pouring off my head, I somehow wished I had 3 legs. I looked at gas pedal, clutch pedal and brake pedal and looked at my redball tennys :eek:oooh:and I knew he had me. He looked and motion for me to start it up and continue. I meekly got out of truck and resumed my seat on the passenger side for another year. Hopefully I could talk him into a automatic transmission pickup but that never happened.

16. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think we all have those first time behind the wheel memories. I think I was about 10 and my dad had taken us all out to the old gun club to shoot a couple rounds out of the shot guns. He had a few to drink that night, but as we were getting in the car he tossed the keys to my older sister who was 15 and said lets see what you can do. She drove for about 5 minutes and he had her pull over to the side of the road. Next was my step brother who was about a year younger than me. I just kept thinking, are we ever going to make it home? The drive was only about 10 miles via gravel, next thing I knew my dad had Chuck pull over and told him to switch places with me. I was scared to death, I could barely see over the steering wheel, let alone reach the gas or break. It wasn't easy steering that old car with no power steering, but he let me drive about a mile then he took over, but every one of us felt like we were on top of the world. Of course it sparked arguments between us as to who was the better driver. I didn't drive again till I was 15 and moved in with my aunt and uncle in Northern Wi. My uncle decided I was going to drive his old 3 speed on the column, ford truck home from the bar. I didn't know the first thing about a clutch. So he explained it to me, I pushed in the clutch, put it in 1st gear, and off we were rolling, well he said I had to shift into second gear so, I pushed in the clutch and we were now rolling in second gear, maybe 20 mph, so now he says, we have to go to 3rd gear, I was having no part of any more shifting, I said it was just fine in the gear it was in, and he kept telling me I had to shift. Well I didnt' shift. I just slowed down. I told him if I slowed down I wouldn't need to shift. We made it home in ummm not record timing LOL, later that night he got mad at my aunt and went out to the old truck and was wipping donuts in the driveway and reving up the motor and blew it up.... to this day he says I blew up that old ford. All because I drove all the way home in second gear. Ahhh the memories.

But I remember the look on my sons face when I pulled my brand new SUV over on the side of the road, got out of the car and walked around and opened his door and said. You are taking over. He was getting ready to turn 14 and here in Iowa you get your permit at 14. He was shocked. And proud.

17. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    as usual yall have reminded me of my childhood. i started driving fairly early, as is the custom in the boonie's. but, i had never driven a stick (other than tractors which have a much easier clutch to learn on) untill i was 15.

i saved up and bought a 1967 international campermobile, 3 speed, 345, ran like a warped top. i had it for a few weeks and asked my dad if i could take it to town that sat. night.

dad always worked the dog snot out of us, but he was very liberal in what we did away from him. (he basically didnt wanna know which was kool at the time). anyway he loaded the rods up on my truck climbed in the drivers seat and said "lets go throw some buzzbaits over at the creek). i instantly forgot about the girls in town and loaded up. the creek -of course- was in the middle of 2 hills. he stopped the truck a lil' ways up the 2nd hill. we got out and fished for awhile and he looked at me and said "i'm gonna fish for lil' bit longer, but if you can drive that truck away there is a 20$ under the seat for gas and i'll see ya at church tommorow mornin' early".

after about 20 min. of desperate attempts i finally got lucky. its a miracle i had any tread left on the tires by the time i got to the top of that hill.

18. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I hope the clutch worked better in town that night.

19. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    yeah it got smoother, but i spent most of the night down ol pi$$ road behind the high school.

20. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I learned to drive the lawn mower at 8, the tractor at 10, then they turned me loose in grandpas old farm truck!:crazy: The steering wheel had to be held at a 90 degree angle to go straight!
    At 15 I rolled my moms car on new gravel on the road, and decided I hated driving after that. Didn't get my license till I was 18.

Now teaching my kids is a different story. My oldest boy drove as close to the ditch as possible at 100mpl everywhere! (his ringtone on my phone is Highway to He!! because he still drives that fast!)

My daughter, I refused to teach her, still won't let her drive with me in the car. She just doesn't get the concept of slowing down BEFORE you turn!:smile2: