Learning in 2007

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by turfman, Dec 23, 2007.

1. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    What was the most important thing you learned in 2007 that helped you produce more or bigger fish. And also what was you worst mistake in 2007. Maybe we can all learn a little more from this on what to do and maybe what not to do.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I learned taking Turfman fishing is bad luck.

I am hoping to change that to a positive thing in 2008...maybe the 2nd or the 3rd if he is in town. :wink:

3. turfman

turfman New Member

State:
    SC
    Isnt that a fact. It was a good time anyway. lol Thats why I havent said lets go in my boat Dieter + Eddie = NO FISH

4. catfish4fun

catfish4fun New Member

State:
    nc

some time you have to leave people at home to catch fish

5. catfish4fun

catfish4fun New Member

State:
    nc
    last was not expected catfish and rockfish were slow .big john was on smallmouth i told the 2 older men with me if he can we can found a nother spot set up did not have much bait started catching bass saw bait 15 feet away got net and threw it in current got more bait then we could use. caught over 200 bass that day and did not move 1 to 6lbs

small mouth and a few large mouths next day caught 98 more (this is not a fish tell) we had 2 and 3 on at a time in early november
    i will try to have a good trip no matter whatwhether it be catfish,rockfish,whitebass,smallmouth,crappie.or even shipjack i do not like freshwater drum but they can be fun at times i caught a 18lb drum on ultra lite in current one trip it whiped my a$$

6. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Fishing the windward side of the lake has seemed to help me more consistantly put fish in the boat. The biggest mistake was not useing that knowledge and staying in my favorite spot on tournament day when I knew the wind was all wrong for that spot . Just like deer hunting I should of had a spot on the other side of the field downwind .

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The biggest thing I learned this year is to use the proper tackle, tackle that is matched to the size fish you want to catch, not what you usually catch. You have to be prepared to handle any fish that swims in your particular waters.

My biggest mistake was using tackle that was a little too light and thinking that just b/c I put a small piece of cutbait on that particular setup that a biggun' wouldn't hit it. Wrong!! Wrong twice to be exact. Also, fishing spots that weren't consistently productive just b/c I hooked a big fish there or b/c I just didn't feel like exploring other options.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dont worry so much about where others are fishing and find your own spots because if you find them you know what they like, how they like it and most of all patience. it will build up your confidence in a area and you will apply more time to that given area over a spot that someone told you about. also paying attention to what makes a given spot produce is a big key. dont get me wrong because you can learn alot of good spots from other folks as i have over the years but sometimes my confidence is not there because i havent seen it with my own eyes. plenty of good spots out there its just timing each spot for the seasonal patterns of a given lake. always listen to the veterans to find out these seasonal patterns of a given lake and then procede to find your own spots. it will build some pride in your fishing abilities and will help you in the long run at the next lake you fish. very rewarding when you find your own fish and know what conditions work for that spot.

9. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    The most important thing I've learned this year was not all fish are in deep water. I started fishing much shallower with good success.

Biggest mistake was just fishing with one type of bait. I started toward the end of the year with different baits and my catches are up.

10. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    the most important thing I've learned this year...was to fish in bodies of water that you knew there were big fish in.....not that you suspected they were there...:roll_eyes:

i fished for many years in a stretch or river that i thought was full of catfish..and wandered why I could not catch them...turns out the river had no fish in it...go figure!!!!:tounge_out:

11. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    This year I learned alot. One of the biggest is to not be set in my ways and be open to try differnt things, and go to places that I wouldnt normally think about. Last year was my first year of Catfishing and I stayed on 1 area of the lake cause I caught fish every time I went out. This year I tried other areas and other tactics, sometimes I caught fish ohter times I didnt. But I learned alot.

The worst mistake I think I made was not going with my gut feeling about a spot on a foggy tournament morning and going to a spot that I could get to faster. My spot didnt produce anything. My guts feeling produced 3 nice blues for the competition.

12. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I learned that a really warm spell in late winter and then a return to winter type weather, plus drought conditions can throw off the spawn for blues in the Piedmont section of NC and SC and that these factors will influence your results for most of the summer.

That a so called expert in catfishing can get skunked under the right conditions. My seven year old fishing buddy calls it getting "stinked".

That I should reread some of my threads as it relates to leaving biting fish and observing signs that nature is offering you.

That I was fortunant enought to have had the opportunity to fish with members of the BOC, such as WylieCat, Turfman and his dad, Killentime and his partner (Calvin), ChrisBlue, Greg and his father in law (LLoyd), BillFish76, a hearing impaired fellow and his brother, CCC member Tim Fox, Walter Lively, and others that are not coming to my feeble mind at this time. From each I learned something or made another fast friend.

Probably the best lesson I learned in 2007 is that when WylieCat calls and says he is in a slump on Wylie and wants to come to Norman and get rid of it, to be carefull that he doesn't hide his Wylie slump under my boat seat or livewell when he leaves. WylieCat called me in mid summer and said he wanted to fish with me and get out of his seven cats per day slump and could he fish with me. Being a good Brother, I said yes, and when he arrived I asked him how many fish would it take to get him out of his seven a day slump. He said ten and I responded by saying let's get twenty. We did, much to his amazement. But, after producing for him that day I, myself got into the seven to nine rut for quite awhile. I got rid of the Wylie slump by pressure washing my entire boat, putting moth balls under the seat and elsewhere, sprayed some Clorox cleaner in nooks and cranies, etc.

Fellows, it was a good ride, lets do it again in 2008.