Learning from the master!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by freshbaitrules, Jan 16, 2010.

1. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Launched out of dg. Fri. morning and headed down river for some bait. Set up at the No Trespass pit with my gill to no avail. Nota, Nota, Nota. Keneth loaned me his cast net and put me to work. After a half dozen throws we had more bait then I've got sense. After a friendly inspection from Henrico's finest on the water we were off. Oh yeah (Keneth) we found Marks registration shortly after the cops left. It's all good. Not being the hardcore fisher that the other guys are we headed in before the bite came on. We were at least able to see Keneth's nice fish in person.
    I bass fished many years before dabling in catfishing and have noticed one thing. The guys I have met on this site, on the water or at the ramps are some of the nicest, friendliest and generous bunch of guys. It's definetaly a brotherhood. We did'nt get any bites but had the best day out in a while.
    One curious mention.....we had four rods out off the back of the boat fishing the incoming tide. One rod decided to go down river with a quickness, could'nt get it out of the rod holder at first. after a minute of drag striping it let go. All the other rods were setting fine. Cast the same rod back out and two minutes later it took off again. What ever it was, log, sturgeon, dead body we at least a little fun and wonder. Any ideas what it was. The tide was rocking up river and this one rod twice went down river with force. Things that make me go HMMMM!

2. catfishwillee

catfishwillee Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    it takes a special kind to sit for hours fishing for catfish. You're right, the people that catfish and are on the site are awesome folks.

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good day on the water and it was nice to see you out there brother, hope to see ya on the water again soon

4. aquaman9

aquaman9 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What type of cast net are you throwing. I am picking up a new gill net from Oran at OS nets soon but need to replace my smaller cast net also. Have problems finding one that will drop down fast in deeper water.

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am using an 8 or 9 foot Betts. Does a nice job.

6. guscipi

guscipi New Member

State:
    va
    Try a 8' radius with 5/8 mesh it will sink faster.

7. jaybeeyakker

jaybeeyakker New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Saw you up there with Kenneth as you were being checked. I was anchored just up from you in the skiff and was talking to Kenneth on the radio. I figured that they were going to check me next so I dug everything out and had it ready for them. When they left you, they came toward me and passed right by me, nearly swamping my boat. Guess they didn't see me.
    You are right on the money about catfishermen. Great bunch of people, at least the ones I've met and fished with.