Learned something new!

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by DANNYfrmINDY, Apr 2, 2009.

1. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    You know how they say you learn something everyday.
    I definitely learned something new yesterday.
    Started off the night at work like normal (conveyer tech./ maintenance), walking the building checking on the conveyers. Got a call about midnight about a belt that was acting up. While looking over the it and not seeing anything wrong, I started the belt back up and tried to see if I could pin point the noise. I was looking under the belt, which was about eye level, and slipped. When I tried to catch myself, my hand slid in-between the belt and a roller.:crazy: Needless to say I learned to keep the machine off while messing with them.
    The first pic was at about 8am Wednesday morning and the second pic was about an hour ago after cleaning it again.:embarassed:

Attached Files:

2. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Carefull there Lefty! Glad it wasn't worse. Looks painfull.

3. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Could have been alot worse, could have drawed back a stump, OUCH!!!!!Be careful out there, glad you're okay. Take care:eek:oooh:

4. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Ouch. Man, that looks painful, glad you're alright. You should tell people its actually from wrestlin' with a big ole catfish...:wink:haha

5. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana

Yeah my father-in-law lost most of his right arm in a conveyer accident. I'm really glad it wasn't any worse.

6. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    That what I was thinking. " You should have seen the one that did this"" "Held me under for 10 min. till I could pull him out":smile2::wink::smile2::smile2::smile2:

Glad you were not hurt bad, that looks painful. Take care of it.

7. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Thats gota hurt! take care of dat hand and keep it out of da belts.
    I'm glad you didn't loose it.

8. tom1939

tom1939 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Only takes a second that can be drastic results for the rest of your life.
    That is why it pays to follow standard safety rules about that sort of
    thing. You are just one very lucky son of gun that you still have two
    hands.

9. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Ouch, that hurts me just looking at it!

10. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats why we have a LOTO (lock out, tag out) program and a very efficiant safety department at work. I am a millwright at a steel mill, dangerous on the best of days. You are lucky, mishaps like yours would more than likely end up in an amputation if not a death had it happened where I work. Was the beltline properly gaurded?
    You cant ever be lax, always gotta be aware. Be careful bro, the problem will still be there if you take your time. Your daily goal should be being able to go home after your shift, not to the ER or morgue. Glad your injuries were minor.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    glad it wasn't worse bro!

12. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I could've been lefted badly injuried on my last job/day. I'm not sorry that I walked away instead of being carried out.:cool2:

13. DANNYfrmINDY

DANNYfrmINDY New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Indiana
    Yeah the belt was properly gaurded. This incident was 100% my fualt. I had restarted the belt while it had a roller gaurd off. I have learned my lesson and now carry my lock out lock on my belt loop and even if I am looking at the machine it gets locked out.

P.S. Thanks everyone for the concerns. I thought i would post this to show even if you think your safe your not. Let my accident be a learning experiance for everybody.

14. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    OUCH!!!!!! glad your alright and it wasn't any worse.

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've seen some bad accidents and heard of deaths when I worked at Ford from folks not locking out. I was a job setter, and I injured my arm at the Nerve and lost most of the feeling to my little finger, ring finger and outside of my palm on my right hand. but over the years I've been gradually getting some feeling back little by little after having 2 operations on that nerve. LOCK OUT! Next time it could be your head.:dribble: Glad your ok bud.

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Hey Danny! Sorry to hear about the incident! Glad your doing well! We all make mistakes at our job and sometimes pay the price. We all learn from our mistakes! Glad it wasn't worse. Take it easy! At my job I get burned frequently from pouring iron at a foundry. I take the safety precautions, but it happens. Just keep your head up and be alert!! Keep the machine LOCKED OUT when inspecting and working on it.

Take care.

17. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    YIKES!!! That's one nasty raspberry!

I had one of my guys slide down a rope about 30' this fall. Climbed to the ceiling, reached up to tap the I-beam, lost his balance & grip & slide all the way down. Fortunately for him he only burnt the skin off his hand in a few places & didn't drop onto the gym floor from that far up!

Take care of that hand!

18. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You could always use the responce.. " you should see the other guy "

But glad your ok.. and be glad yo dont work at a mill

19. Whiskerstalker

Whiskerstalker New Member

State:
    Hamilton County Indiana
    Bet that hurt. Glad ur ok tho bro. Like they said "could have been worse"