Learned a little sumpin'

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Aug 20, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I was fishing the big O the other day and I was using live shad on a 3-way rig and I was having problems with the darn shad tangling up my entire rig when left on the bottom for more than 10 seconds. I usually hook right in front of the eyes or just behind the doral fin and it seemed that they would run stright into the main line then around the sinker line 50 times and I would have a nice big mess to deal with, well I think I might have solved this problem, I started hooking through the tail and they now try and swim away from the rig thus keeping everything nice and untangled!!!:wink: Not sure if this is ground breaking...probably common sense but at least I solved a little delimma, oh and yes the leader is less than 12" long and I had a cigar cork on the leader to help keep the little feller off the bottom.

Hope this helps someone
    Bill

2. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Makes since,i'll have to try it next time i go out which will prolly be tonight.i usually dont do the 3 way rig, i just put the sinker above the swivel then about 18-24in leader.thanks again since my ty button is gone once again:smile2:

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    That does make since. I will keep that in mind if I ever have that problem. A big THANKS to you.

4. Big-Blue

Big-Blue New Member

State:
    Louisville,KY
    I think I heard some where that hooking live bait like that will kill it faster????? Not sure, but if it worked cool

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Makes sense to me. I wonder if you sometimes put too much thought into fishing and should go more with what just plain works the best or is most conveinent.

6. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I'd like to thank you for this post, but no more for the day. Thanks for the information.

7. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    No thinking was really involved...what is it they say "necessity is mother of invention" I was tired of changing rigs, going from drifting to anchoring so I decided to keep the 3 ways on and got some tangles...long story short moved the hook around a few times and bingo.
    As far as killing the bait faster...hmmm maybe but I didnt notice it. There is the possiblity that the river current would drown the shad since they are pointing their nose down river and hanging in the current? I guess the KISS principle would apply to fishing just as well as life (aka. Keep It Simple, Stupid)