Leaky Boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by billNpam, Oct 31, 2007.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a Tracker TX 17 Boat. Here lately been having water intrusion through some rivets in the bottom of the boat. I cannot replace these with out tearing half the boat apart. What sort of sealer do you recommend

2. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    there is a sealant at lowes that will work great. i forgot the name of it but it was designed to be used on sheet metal roofing to keep the screws from leaking. i think that ought to work pretty well for you.

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Bill,
    If you know which rivets are the ones causing the leak try some Loctite 290. It is a wicking product that is used to seal/lock nuts and bolts after they are done up tight. It penetrates into the tiniest of spaces. I have used it to seal porosities in castings and other difficult sealing problems. Might work for you...W

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Leaking rivets are NO problem.The difficulty is in making sure you have an even number.If you have 2 rivets leaking then you have to have 2 rivets to let the water out.Always keep the number even and the water cant rise in your boat!!!!!!:smile2::big_smile:

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Jim,
    You are a genius:roll_eyes:...W

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Thanks Winston,I was pretty much already aware of that, but it's nice to see others appreciate my gift!!!!!:big_smile::smile2::wink:I would be remiss to let others think this talent is fixed in only one member of my family however.I must give partial, if minute credit to my son,who observing my consternation one day, at not being unable to detect a small leak in the family boat,advised me not to worry about and just drill a small hole to let the water out.See it does run in the family.He is currently a 1st Sgt with an Army unit in Iraq and cant come home until he understands that I am the family comedian not him.:big_smile::smile2::wink::roll_eyes:

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    If you dont care how it looks ...I bought some caulking called GEOCELL for my canoe.It looks like hell but it has not leaked a drop in three years.I got it given to me by a cousin inlaw dad ,he bought it new in 1974 so this ole girl has been around and I intend to use it until I cant fix it or it is dangerous.

Attached Files:

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    if you do care about how the outside looks, try the same thing only on the inside. Or you can line the entire inside with some other kind of sealant.

9. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used to build swimming pools, and I had to paint said pools from time to time. Well naturally some of that really good epoxy pool paint followed me home. I have used it on numerous applications, and it has worked out just fine. You can even get in different colors.LOL Hope this helps, I think I even gained some speed on one boat I had.
    Later Andy

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i've used JB weld for holes from one inch to leaky rivets in alluminum boat. holds good too and cheap. Erif f another member here, tried it on his tracker and stopped every leak he could find. still has a few small ones, but hasn't located them yet.
    gary

11. bobs bait

bobs bait New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey i have several large 500 to 1000 gal tanks to keep bait made homemade filters i went to a marine supply dealer and bought some 3 m sealant for underwater use works great but is costly about 10 dollars a tube but it does work comes in clear hope this helps bob

12. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have the same boat and the same problem. I have to run the bilge pump every 20 min. It's the middle seam that seems to be the biggest problem.

13. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Have had the same issue with leaking rivets under the floor before.
    We found the Bad guys (2) by putting water in the boat in the driveway... drips were easy to find.
    Used an 1 1/2 hole saw right above the offenders and tightned them with a Hammer, punch and a backer.
    Two licks with a hammer and Punch and the problem was solved.
    Found some little vent hole plugs.. with a grating on them that fit the hole perfect.
    Ya never even notice them when they are in place.

Something to think about.

14. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I had a Tracker pro 17 deep V and after a couple of years started getting a little water in the boat. f you find a loose rivet drill it out and replace with a GOOP covered pop rivet, then dab a little more GOOP on it. If you can't find the loose rivet put a little water in the boat with it on a trailer and watch for dark spots around the rivets, then seal'em with GOOP. worked for me...

15. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    BOAT US SELLS A SEALENT PAINT MADE FOR ALUMINUM BOATS OR HAVE YOUR FLOOR SPRAYED WITH RINO LINER OR GO TO WAL-MART AND BUY A GALLON OF BED LINER PAINT. IT'S IN THEIR AUTO DEPARTMENT. I USED IT ON THE BOTTOM OF MY PLYWOOD FLOOR TO SEAL IT. IT WORKS GREAT. HOPE THIS HELPS.

16. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    My boat is so bad the whole thing needs to be GOOPED. It's really bad

17. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    id give patching it with fiberglass a try, you scuff the metal real good. brush on some resin. throw sown about 3 layers of wet mat, roll it out real good. i think it would be better than filling with something that will stay nasty. like calk. i have used finerglass on wuit a bit of metal it will be alot stronger than you think. im pretty you get the stuff at walmart. or autozone. make sure you catalize the resin though or it will never kick off

18. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My Roughneck 1960 had a major leak and I was going nuts trying to find it. Turned out my livewell had cracks in it. Its part of that center console . I cleaned the allumin real good and goobered on the RTV. The 100% silicone stuff. It stoped the leak and flexes with the movement of that center console. The center consoles on Lowes leave something to be desired, they seem to flex.

I know I should buy a better built boat, but I have not had this one long enough. Maybe in a few years I'll get a new boat.