Leaks & Paint....

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by dtwbcs, Apr 21, 2007.

1. dtwbcs

dtwbcs Member

State:
    TX
    Would appreciate any advice on how to check(and stop)leaks on my boat.Also wondering what type of paint to use on it?I have a 1960 12' seaking that i recently purchased.
    Thnx 4 any help

2. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I would take the waterhose and fill it up with water when it is on the trailer to see any leaks. I dont know how to patch them tho.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Dan, hopefully it is an aluminum boat. Be easy to find and patch a hole in fiberglass, but you couldn't tell the damage beneath the deck. On aluminum boats, there are several things you can do... as stated, fill it with the water hole and mark each rivet that leaks. Empty the boat and with an assistant, try to brad the rivets tighter. This will stop a great many of the leaks. That fails, try some JB Weld around the rivets that still leak. Put it on smooth as you can to prevent drag in the water. Another option is to drill out the bad rivet and replace it with a similar rivet. Still can't get it... take it to a shop that welds aluminum and tell them to have at it... they can weld some of the rivets for you.If it is not leaking at a rivet, but it is at a seam, take a sharp tool (like and awl) and drag it through the seams joint on the inside and outside of the boat. Use a good grade of clear sealant and force it into the seam. Wipe off the excess before it cures. Should either have stopped the problems or significantly reduced them...

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    "I would take the waterhose and fill it up with water when it is on the trailer to see any leaks."

Beware.............your boat FILLED with water may be more than the trailer, the bunks and the tires are rated for. You may also damage the boat itself. No need to FILL it up. Just enough water to cover the leaking areas should do for a test

5. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    You are right. I should have added that detail rather than thinking that someone would figure that out on their own.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Your both right... stupid thing to do. but I filled mine to about 8 inches from the gunwales. Fortunately the trailer held. LOL Must have put a serious grunt test on those tires.

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah i wouldnt fill over the outside water line :lol: if you can see the rivets from inside the boat you can spray water on them from the jet of the hose to see if they leak i used a floor jack with a 10" 3/8 " punch and 10" 1/4 " punch and dead blow inside the boat to tighten my rivets it worked well but iv got to do it again or something else i still have a leak just not as bad

8. dtwbcs

dtwbcs Member

State:
    TX
    Well I found some aluminum brazing rods to repair the 2"x1/4 "hole in the keel.Guessing from "beaching"over the yrs.Well the brazing wasnt too terrible bad i guess--Only blew a hole the size of a half-dollar in addition to the original hole:eek:oooh:.Guess i wasnt moving the torch around enough?Anyways I will fill boat with water 2 check 4 more leaks....MAYBE i should have tried jb-weld or a 2part epoxy sealant? STILL enjoy the challenge of "doing it myself"

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    my buddy had a small leak on his aluminum jon boat while on a fishing trip...it was a rivet...

he tried to tighten it but it wouldn't tighten....

i suggested using a self taping screw with a neoprene bond seal washer...it worked perfectly....a little unconventional yes but it is still holding...

10. t-bird

t-bird New Member

State:
    Texas
    Try gluv-it from Marine-Tex. Paint it on the bottom and let it dry. Should seal and fill all your leaks.

11. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    depending on how bad the leak is...

i used an epoxy paint from fasco epoxy... http://www.fascoepoxies.com/

it sealed it up pretty good on the outside, then just used some 2 part aluminum epoxy and silicone on the inside.