Leaking Oil

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Drawout, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Well just took boat out for some fishing and when we got back in and loaded boat i noticed an oil leak,Do you guys know what i need to do to fix this ? Pics are attached and its an 100 hp evinrude

Attached Files:

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Looks like an exhaust leak to me. The exhaust coupler between the engine and lower unit is likely not sealed properly at one end or the other and unburned oil is leaking out.

Bob and Bubba will be along shortly to give you their take on it, but my money is on an exhaust leak.

Get a service manual and drop the lower unit, clean it up and put it back together according to the manual. Replace the water pump while you're in there.

3. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Hey where are the experts at sill havent heard from you guys, Im sure you guys can help me out.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Johnny does that engine have a VRO tank or is it mix your fuel your self type.

5. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    mix it my self type

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Then that oil is most likely unburned fuel. did you do a lot os slow running that day and what type of plugs do you have in it and what rpm's does it turn.

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Yes you hit the nail right on the head i did slow running cause we went through lots and lots of trees ,idling mostly. As for the plugs im not real sure i need to replace them though what would you recommend ? its a 72 evinrude 100 hp.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Go get you a set of champion QL77JC4 plugs and set the gap at 40 and when you do a lot of slow running with that engine just take it out for a good hard run at WOT before you put it away.

9. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Thx alot Willard, You always come through for me with Great advice. Is that all i need do ? No major fixes Thats what i like to hear, saves money lol.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Johnny you need to let me know how many RPM's that thing is turning at WOT and if the carbs haven't been rebuilt in awhile you need to start putting things together to rebuild them. The unburned fuel is an indication that the enging isn't running up to par now a new set of plugs will help for awhile but you need to rebuild the carbs and fuel pump to ensure that the engine is running at 100% to make it last a long time.
    Most outboards don't die from over use they die from abuse so keep it running at tip top shape and it will give you several hours of good service.

11. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Willard is their some kind of tool i can get to tell me rpms cause i dont have a tac on the boat, I bet the carbs do need to be rebuilt cause the boat set up for 3 years before i got it and at about 2/3 throttle it will run across lake like a kitten at about 30 mph and at full throttle it will go probally bout 45 mph but it boggs. So what kind of cost am i looking at.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You need to get you tach for it. I'll look around in my stuff and see if I have an extra one. If it boggs at WOT then they need cleaning. Post me the model number and I'll run down the parts number and you can check at your local Oriely's or Napa parts store on the cost.

13. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    I found this number on the side of one 316652 Does that sound like a model # ?

14. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    And btw they look fairly new like they may have been replaced.

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Johnny looks are deceiving. If it sat for three years previous to you useing it then the carbs need cleaning. If they set a year without being stored properly then they need rebuilding. This is a fairly easy task.