Leak somewhere?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by tbull, Jun 18, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just curious if anyone else has had this problem, I have a 19.5 ft Sea Nymph Aluminum boat that takes on quite a bit of water. The other night when we were back in a cove I could actually hear the bubbling sound of water getting in the boat. When we pulled the boat out of the water, I kept the plug in to see if I could see a leak and did no see any. I am sure it needs some pressure for the leak to show itself. It sounded like the bubbling sound was coming from the bottom of the transom on the drivers side, but again I was just going strictly on what I could hear not see. Its not taking on enough to worry me, just have to run the bilge quite a bit. Any advice? Anyone had something similar that they found the problem, thru hull fittings? Thanks guys:angry:

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have an aluminun 19' Roughneck that had a leak that was driving me nuts.

The live well was cracked at the bottom, water leaked out of it and under the floor. I could not find that leak, I even changed out the threw hull fitting.

After I seen the cracks, a little wire brushing and a tube of RTV, and I have no leaks. Let that aluminum move, that rubbery RTV moves with it, NO LEAKS.

3. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    This may not be the best way but I have the same boat you do and found a lot of leaks in the rivets. I had to use the bilge all the time and after leaving her in the water at Catstock one year the boat was almost underwater! We swore if the bilge quit we would be in trouble. Here is how I fixed my leaky problem.

I filled the boat up with water while on the trailer...yes filled it up with water. I then got underneath the boat and marked all the weeps and gushy leaks with a marker There was a quite a few of them. After draining the boat I then fixed them all by tapping in the rivets and putting silicone putty on top of the rivets to prevent more leaks. Like I said it may not be the best way but thats what we did and it seemed to work for us.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I did that and there were no leaks from the rivets, it seems that is coming from the bottom of the transon, its so are to tell when everything is dripping water when you trailer it, maybe I will try it agin and pay more attention to the back of the boat....:eek:oooh:

5. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    im not sure how your boat is set up but if it wasnt doing it last fall when you put it away and it was this spring when you got it out I would also check any hoses going to/from the livewell. there may be a split in one of them from a bit of water that didn't get out last fall and froze over the winter leaving a crack in the line. good luck.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    That area of the boat is normally where the battery is located. You may have got some acid spilt on the aluminium and got a pinhole as a result. Maybe you could throw a heavy blanket over the back of the boat and put a light inside, then check after night fall for a hole? Other than that, just bail faster when needed. LOL

7. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have a 95 Basstracker TX 17 and it leaked where the factory splice was under the Main strake on the bottom in the middle. I drilled four, 1/4 inch holes in the strake and then got 4 cans of the spray foam and filled the strake up completely with the foam. No more leaks. It is worth a try and very cheap fix.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Check all the thru hull fittings and hoses.
    One of the downsides to an aluminum boat is the choice of thru hulls that are available for use with aluminum. NYLON.
    Few years of nylon cycling through hot and cold with winter and summer and UV rays, you get a brittle piece of garbage.